Do you sometimes feel like you read too much?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
How is it possible to read TOO MUCH! Unless you mean with regards your eyesight. :).

But seriously, yes, you can go into unrelated-to-you disorders too much. And get unnecessarily freaked out.

But, doing that,even, can give you a tremendous overview of disorders with high levels of insulin at the basis, is what my understanding of my own wide reading has brought about.

My caveat then would be - read widely, but get yourself, simply, and well tested! So you know your own C reactive protein levels (indicates inflammation if my memory serves), C peptide levels (cheap way to measure your insulin production), and whether or not you are deficient in crucial vitamins and hormones. This is all possible with simple blood tests, and get in good with your doctor or medical professionals so they interpret your results to you. And even then, in my own experience, you will need to get online to compare measurement levels (which differ widely between countries and therefore the lit you are reading), so you can turn them into the measurements of your own country's tests, so you are interpreting your tests correctly.

Then you won't unnecessarily worry about pancreas cancer and so on, if you have come to really understand your own body and its functioning.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The things I have learned and the information people freely exchange is mind boggling.
This forum is a nexus for knowledge, with springboards off in so many different directions.
It really has transformed my health, in a series of stages, since I arrived here.

Lots of dead ends, of course, but just because they are a dead end for me, doesn't mean that they aren't the golden nugget of info to transform the life of the next poster. :)

Too much knowledge? Impossible. But it is the use you make of it that makes the difference.

Reactions: marathonmona

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please stop reading stuff like that all it will do is make you depressed. Concentrate on your diabetes and doing what is best for you. I know some people love to research all the studies, papers and trials that have ever been done I think with some it becomes a hobby with others like me it is all far to complicated so I do not do it

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I remember when I was young in the '70, when there were only two channels on TV and the broadcasts were starting at 5 in summer that I started reading every book I could find... So I can't say that one can read too much. Ok sometimes I preferred to finish a sci-fi book of an obscure author rather than to go to play football outside.

If we talk about medical and scientific article, also I think there's no such thing of too much reading, but if we talk about tabloids and pseusoscientifici claims you find on tabloid and of facebook it's another story.

Reactions: AloeSvea