Doctor not 100% if I have type 2

charlo98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent news that you have a definite diagnosis. Though a new diagnosis of T1 can seem scary, modern technology is marvellous (don't know if you were self funding the libre before but you should get it free now) and insulin pumps are getting better and better should you want to go that route.

You might want to change your diabetes type on your account details, by the way.

Are you on insulin now?

Hi, I do feel down about it. Still in shock with it all but can’t be helped that I have it. I’m on two types the rapid one which is an orange pen and a slow realise which is green. I should probably learn the names haha. I was getting friends and family to get a free one but yes all free now.
The constant saw my referral as it was not urgent and put me as urgent and I was seen by him a couple days later once it was picked up. He was told I was on insulin and was seen by the diabetic team, to his shock I had to tell him apart from the gp he was the only other person I’d seen! I was on metform and told to basically eat keto so unsure where he was told I was on insulin!

charlo98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankfully your dr was aware of her limitations and referred you so you could get the correct diagnosis. What do they teach drs that so many think ketones are required for a type 1 diagnosis :banghead: (or that gad must be positive as another common misconception). I’m not even a type 1 nor a dr and I know that much. I was reading through this thread to comment on this when I got to your update. I’m relieved to hear you finally got it sorted

Yes all I kept hearing was no ketones you can’t be type 1. As I sit there losing more weight ( I was a sporty person and I’ve lost so much muscle I can feel bones I‘ve never felt before) even when another gp sent me to AMU the consultant who saw me on there (who may I add told me he was doing a project on diabetes) redid my hba and told me I definitely have diabetes like my GP had got it wrong but couldn’t figure out why no ketones. I had three antibodies bloods, no one knows what happened to the first two, though one had been NA’d (so rejected) in the lab so the results line hca told me it was negative… which I then spent most of the day crying thinking I’m never going to be able to eat bread again as I must be type 2.
Thanks, I’m glad it finally is too

charlo98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was warned that my low carb diet would stunt the growth of my baby, back in 1982 - I looked at his growth chart and thought that seemed most unlikely - he topped out at 6ft 3 or 4. I did not restrict carbs, just ate normally for me.
My second child was affected by the carbs I was told I had to eat - I kept a graph and the growth rate slowed in the days after my encounters at the clinic.

They say to eat one carb like 3 new potatoes for example every meal as they don’t want you to enter ketosis pregnant. The numbers are so tight pregnant it’s hard. I was diagnosed late and ended up having a 9.5 ibs baby

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @charlo98 Your story is quite familiar, and I was diagnosed at twice your age! 129.5 HbA1c, no ketones; my sister 94 HbA1c a couple of weeks ago, no ketones. Guessing the 'no ketones' memo just hasn't done the rounds! I am metformin, diet and exercise controlled as I hypo'd with the tiniest amount of insulin, and have had a non-diabetic HbA1c for the last 9 months (only diagnosed Christmas 2021).

You have to do what works for you - I have been told I can use insulin (again) if I want to broaden my diet; but I am happy where I am for now on low carb. I suppose I just wanted to let you know that if your pancreas is still pumping out a good amount of insulin itself, you may encounter a lot of lows if you are injecting what the nurses etc think a 'normal T1' should be taking. I used insulin for 3 weeks after diagnosis, and my endo thinks this little boost could have given my pancreas a bit of a break to reset and cope better, but we will never know.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you, but know that if it doesn't, you are not alone in the experience, and this forum is a great place for wise words and reassurance.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They say to eat one carb like 3 new potatoes for example every meal as they don’t want you to enter ketosis pregnant. The numbers are so tight pregnant it’s hard. I was diagnosed late and ended up having a 9.5 ibs baby
I had two 9lb‘ers (late) and a 10lber a week early 20ish years ago and despite ++ in my urine often was never tested further or diagnosed then. Type2 finally got me nearly 5 yrs ago officially