Doctor not prescribing injections

Fifi2022

Hi I was wondering is someone has had a similar experience . I was put on depression medication (ssri) and since October I have gained 2 stones in weight . This had led me to develop type 2 and high cholesterol . I explained my concern of weight gain to my GP since being on anti depressants and that no mater how low carb healthy eating I do and exercise my weight remains the same .

I asked my GP about the weight loss injections but he refuses to give them to me as my hbac1 3 months ago was 54 and now it is 52 so there has been an improvement in my bloods . He said he can’t prescribe them to me as my sugar readings are not bad . My cholesterol has has gone high which he has started me on medication for . How do I get these injections prescribed by my GP ? I am reducing the dose of my anti depressants due to my weight gain but I don’t want to put my mental health at risk because of the weight gain . It’s really getting me down and I feel I don’t know what else I can do .

JenJen9

What anti depressants are you on, i have tried many so might be able yo advise, also my diabetes consultant put me on an injection (can’t remember the name off the top of my head) but it suppresses your appetite so that could work for you. GP will not give it you but diabetes consultant can. If i remember the name i will let you know

Fifi2022

What anti depressants are you on, i have tried many so might be able yo advise, also my diabetes consultant put me on an injection (can’t remember the name off the top of my head) but it suppresses your appetite so that could work for you. GP will not give it you but diabetes consultant can. If i remember the name i will let you know

Sertraline 50mg

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I might ask the doctor who prescribed the sertraline if it can cause weight gain, even at a low dosage. Depression can lead to weight gain certainly.

Last edited:

Fifi2022

I might ask the doctor who prescribed the sertraline if it can cause weight gain, even at a low dosage. Depression can lead to weight gain certainly.

Yes he said it can , and refusing to prescribe me ozempic to help me lower my diabetes levels and weight ☹️

Fifi2022

Hi wondering if anyone can help . I was diagnosed with type 2 back in feb . I was prescribed metformin 850mg 2 times a day . Hbac1 was 54 my recent blood test showed my Hbac1 as 52. I am also on depression medication and have gained 2 stones from it which is why I think I became diabetic in the first place . However I explained to the gp how my weight is impacting my health and he prescribed metformin . I also have high cholesterol now and find it very hard to shift the weight . I asked my doctor about ozempic and he said he can’t prescribe it to me . Anyone else have the same experience ? Why is my GP not allowing me to take the injections ?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried a low carb diet? I found this helped with my depression and also with weight loss.

I suspect your doctor isn't prescribing Ozempic because you don't have alot of weight to lose. All drugs have side effects and if the potential benefits don't outweigh the potential problems the drug may cause then it would be wrong to prescribe it.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi wondering if anyone can help . I was diagnosed with type 2 back in feb . I was prescribed metformin 850mg 2 times a day . Hbac1 was 54 my recent blood test showed my Hbac1 as 52. I am also on depression medication and have gained 2 stones from it which is why I think I became diabetic in the first place . However I explained to the gp how my weight is impacting my health and he prescribed metformin . I also have high cholesterol now and find it very hard to shift the weight . I asked my doctor about ozempic and he said he can’t prescribe it to me . Anyone else have the same experience ? Why is my GP not allowing me to take the injections ?

Hi,

This news may have something to do with your doc’s reluctance to prescribe? https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/202...-shortage-of-diabetes-medication-ozempic.html

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The thing is, most GPs will refer to the NICE Guidelines for medication pathways, and that gives Ozempic and the like a few paces on from Metformin.

Ozempic isn't the weightloss silver bullet that some would have us believe. We have had people on the forum who have found their weight didn't shift at all. It also comes with the usual risks of side-effects, including nausea and vomiting. Those could obviously help with weight loss, but in a very unpleasant way.

My advice to you would be that you don't latch on to any individual drug, but look at the bigger picture, including your mental health. Diabetes isn't a lot of fun, but there are worse things to live with, for sure.

Take it steady.

Fifi2022

Have you tried a low carb diet? I found this helped with my depression and also with weight loss.

I suspect your doctor isn't prescribing Ozempic because you don't have alot of weight to lose. All drugs have side effects and if the potential benefits don't outweigh the potential problems the drug may cause then it would be wrong to prescribe it.

I have 4 stones to lose for a healthy BMI

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have 4 stones to lose for a healthy BMI
I have lost almost 4 stones and have another 5 stones to lose. I personally wouldn't use Ozempic though even if it was offered to me and have opted for the dietary route instead.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Fifi2022

I have lost almost 4 stones and have another 5 stones to lose. I personally wouldn't use Ozempic though even if it was offered to me and have opted for the dietary route instead.

Hi thanks for your reply , are you on antidepressants ? As I’ve lost 5 stones in the past with healthy eating and exercise but since being on sertraline nothing is working . I don’t really want to be on any medication as in the past I lost weight and took my type 2 into remission with just exercise and diet however this time around it’s not working and the only thing that’s different is the anti depressant x

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks for your reply , are you on antidepressants ? As I’ve lost 5 stones in the past with healthy eating and exercise but since being on sertraline nothing is working . I don’t really want to be on any medication as in the past I lost weight and took my type 2 into remission with just exercise and diet however this time around it’s not working and the only thing that’s different is the anti depressant x
I was on them for a year or so. Initially I gained some weight as I was ravenously hungry for a couple of weeks but then it settled down. I can't really remember whether weight loss was harder whilst taking them.

Reactions: Grannypat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Would you like to share what kinds of food you are eating? Maybe there's something to gain there?