Doctor won't prescribe metformin for me

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all, metformin is said to be the first line of treatment for T2, and some are not given it for reasons their doctors will/won't tell them. Ask why, this is important for you to know about.
When I was only on metformin I tried Chromium Picolinate, and took the recommended amount each day, and I went to my first hypo, which at the time was new and scarey to me to feel, but I realised that I had not quite had enough to eat, I felt I had learned something, and continued to use it, the gp did not say anything against it, the hospital doctor just listened. Unfortunately when I was put onto Gliclazide it did not seem to work as well, so I stopped using it. Gliclazide is bad for weight, it puts it on you.
Each diabetic needs to ask the questions, why is it not for me,,,what else can I take to help me,,,why am I struggling to keep my weight in check,,,,,a lot of T2 have discovered the Low Carb High Fat diet and this is helping to keep the numbers in the right area, and even the weight numbers going down,,,,,,ttfn from Karen.

D

Deleted Account

Hi Fenlady, As many others have said, well done on a low Hb1AC.
Your post is short but it reads to me as if your concern is your increasing weight and you have read/heard/experienced about weight loss with metformin. As I have T1, I have no experience of this but wonder if you should be asking your doctor (or dietician if you have access to one) how you can lose weight. There may be other options available.
In the meantime, I certainly wouldn't do anything to increase your Hb1AC just to get metformin: you will risk other problems from doing this.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My diet is nothing special - just low GI, only three servings of whole grain per day (muesli or porridge and fruit for breakfast, .......the surgery is too mean to prescribe them (meter and test strips) for me, and this is the only way I can see what's happening and which foods to avoid.

You mean not using a meter, as your doctor would probably insist, and trying to guess what you BG was doesn't really work! It is absolutely idiot advice. So much of what we are told at diagnosis is contradictory.
Did you test your post meal peaks after porridge, muesli? Maybe at 3 or 4 hours, not just 2. Low GI peaks later. They both have a bad affect on my BG. Try bacon egg and mushrooms occasionally. But you really have done brilliantly. Well done.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello Fenlady,helensaramay and all others, I started on just metformin when first diagnosed, but I did not notice weight loss,,,,,it might have started the process off,,,,,,as eventually things a got a bit slacker to wear,,,,,the best weight loss is the one when you notice it,,,your readings are very good,,and diabetics everywhere will be cheering you on,,so keep up the good work,,,,,ttfn from Karen.