1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Does an OGTT help improve carb tolerance ?

Discussion in 'Low Calorie Diets' started by Begonia, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Begonia

Begonia Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I have read a couple of posts that seem to suggest an OGTT has helped improve tolerance to carbs after being either on a very low calorie (eg Newcastle) diet or on very low carbs.

I've done a 'sort of' Newcastle diet but with real food (and a few extra cals (1100-1200). Lost weight so BMI now at 22.5. I'm now on lowish carb diet (35-60g) which is fine and easy to sustain and I'm maintaining weight loss.

It would be great to be able to tolerate a few more carbs sometimes. Hence I'm wondering whether its worth trying an OGTT. Any personal experiences of this ?

2. Fleegle

Fleegle Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No personal experience but that was the implication of at least one test.
    Why not give it a go? It will tell you loads about where your body has got to.

3. Begonia

Thanks @fleegie. I'll probably give it a go in a week or so.

I'm trying to hedge my bets and get the best of all diet options by doing the Newcastle/Blood sugar diet for 8 weeks to get rid of pancreatic fat and then switching back to lowish carbs for long term maintenance.

4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Begonia - I can recall a couple of people saying their numbers appeared better after doing an OGTT, but I don't know if that "better" was sustained over the longer term than just a couple of days, post-test.

Some people find if they have a carb-heavy day (whatever that means for the individual) that their body produces a bit more insulin for a day or so, so their numbers are lower, but ti wavers off.

I did an OGTT a couple of months ago, and didn't notice anything I'd remark on afterwards.

I didn't particularly enjoy the OGTT, and I found the Lucozade to be vile (some used Rapilose), so won't be in a big rush to have another go, even though my results were fine.

5. Fleegle

Fleegle Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am just coming to the end of my 8 week ND experiment.
    It has not been half as bad as I thought for most of the time. I have though lost a bit more weight than I wanted to - now less than when I was a slim 18 year old.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Begonia

Well done ! I finished my 8 weeks of low cal at end of September. No trouble maintaining weight so far on lowish carbs and mainly meditteranean style fats plus just creamy coffee for breakfast.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook