Does Anybody Else Not Know Their Blood Group?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I noticed over the past three months within this community that so many people know their Blood Type.

I don't:)...even at 54, so I asked the Dic today, but he explained you can't have the test on the NHS as it is not a medical requirement...fair enough:)

I'd be interested to know who else knows or does not know their blood type?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both my parents were blood donors, so both knew their blood type. Mum is O+ and Dad is O- so, by the laws of genetics, I must be O+

- never been told it officially, though.

Reactions: 4 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Both my parents were blood donors, so both knew their blood type. Mum is O+ and Dad is O- so, by the laws of genetics, I must be O+

- never been told it officially, though.

At some point you may have to face the realization that your mum was unfaithful or that you were adopted............! :D:D:D
- which would be the 'better' option???? LOL

I did know my blood type as I too gave blood, once - before I was diagnosed but that was a long time ago and I've forgotten what type, obviously something very common!

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At some point you may have to face the realization that your mum was unfaithful or that you were adopted............! :D:D:D

I did know my blood type as I too gave blood, once - before I was diagnosed but that was a long time ago and I've forgotten what type, obviously something very common!
Happened to Richard III.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Used to know when I gave blood but was stopped from doing so, as I lived in a malaria country till my teens... so no idea!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
As an ex blood donor, I know mine, O-.

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only know mine from giving blood and still having the donor card. So keep it on the emergency details on my iPhone.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wow...so I'm not that unusual at all:)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
As a donor(unit every 6 months) until my bleed stroke (the computer says no) I know mine
BRh+

My GP notes always has my blood type on, as far back as I remember (Teens)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
OK so another question. How important is it that we know?

If we have to have an emergency transfusion, how quickly can they test, why do they give O as a default when they don't have it in your records?

Just trying to get a bit more knowledge and whether a private test would be useful:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was a blood doner. Mine is A+. I also had a card of some sort from when I was born with it on. So has my daughter - given to me in the maternity hospital.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Haha! Did you go through that teenage phase of 'Gawwwd, i WISH i was adopted!' I did. Lol.
But eventually, even I had to admit that i have my father's ski jump nose and mother's hair.
<<< see pic.

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK so another question. How important is it that we know?

If we have to have an emergency transfusion, how quickly can they test, why do they give O as a default when they don't have it in your records?

Just trying to get a bit more knowledge and whether a private test would be useful:)

Quote from Mayo Clinic website:
At one time, type O negative blood was considered the universal blood donor type. This implied that anyone — regardless of blood type — could receive type O negative blood without risking a transfusion reaction. But it's now known that even type O negative blood may have antibodies that cause serious reactions during a transfusion. And blood transfusions in general carry some risk of complications.

In an emergency, type O negative red blood cells may be given to anyone — especially if the situation is life-threatening or the matching blood type is in short supply.

My take is that it is more useful to know it and to have it accessible, just as with T2D.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know I am A+
Just like the marks I used to get in school.:D I know my blood group as in my youth I donated blood regularly.
Anyone who is a mother will also have had blood type tested, as will anyone who has had surgery, so it will be in medical notes.
O type blood is Considered safe to be be given to all groups, but O's cannot receive other types.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I know I am A+
Just like the marks I used to get in school.:D I know my blood group as in my youth I donated blood regularly.
Anyone who is a mother will also have had blood type tested, as will anyone who has had surgery, so it will be in medical notes.
O type blood is Considered safe to be be given to all groups, but O's cannot receive other types.

That's so true about mothers. Yvonne's is A Resus Negative, do quite rare and needed to know that when we had the children because of anti bodies I believe:)

Might think about getting a private test and putting it on my iphone's home screen with my T2 stuff ;)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha! Did you go through that teenage phase of 'Gawwwd, i WISH i was adopted!' I did. Lol.
But eventually, even I had to admit that i have my father's ski jump nose and mother's hair.
<<< see pic.

Lol - doesn't every kid at some point just wish they were adopted? (and their 'real' parent tracks them down after finding fame and fortune!)

And your mothers legs??? :wolf whistles:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just ordered a Home Test kit for £9.88, will report back my experience with results:)

AnnInDenmark

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I had an operation many years ago I was given a card with my blood type (O+), but other country other customs, maybe.
On the back it says that I should keep it with my driver's license.
Edit: I know now it's called surgery. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: