Does anyone else "feel" insulin working?

Claire

I have noticed something strange lately...that I actually feel the insulin lowering my blood sugar. It starts about 1 1/2 hours after I inject. I start to feel hollow in my tummy, and irritable and jumpy...almost like when I have a hypo but not as bad. I have tested when I start to feel like this and I generally get a reading of 6/7, so not low. Then if I wait half an hour (so 2 hours after the injection) and test again, I am generally 4 something. I literally feel that glucose leaving my bloodstream.

The interesting thing is that I always used to get this sensation every couple of hours before I was diabetic...have had it about 5 years I would say, but have only been diabetic under 1. I knew that I suffered from low blood sugar previousy but obviously I don't now!

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Claire

sugar

No, I can't say I have. Is it a pleasant feeling? It doesn't sound sgreat..but I guess it is kind of reassuring! The only time I get anything remotely similar is when my bloodsugar is coming down from high to normal...and that is more a reduction in thirst, tiredness etc. Interesting though!

Claire

Hi Sugar

No, it's not pleasant!!! It's like hypoing but without the sweating and shaking. I know that once it starts I have about 1/2 hour before my BS will be in the 4s. Predictable, if nothing else!

Claire

StaffieLady

Claire, I dont use insulin, I use Metformin - but I can definitely feel my blood sugar fall..........and rise, come to that. The way you described it is very accurate, and also I feel quite drunk. When my numbers have leveled out, (higher or lower), the feeling settles down.

Linda

lahdida

Hey!
I have to agree I definatly feel my insulin working !although I dont reallyfind it unpleasant as it gives me a burst of energy and only really drops to 5.