Does anyone else have?

Fay44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, just wondering does anyone else have there hair falling out. I have been dignosed with T2 for a few months doing well on eating,losing weight and have cut down my stess level. But,i have noticed that my hair is falling out. I normally have thick curly hair. When,i washed my hair clumps of hair was coming out. But,now my hair is has gone very thin and had to cut my hair very short. Thanks

Reactions: 3 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @Fay44 ,

It's not unusual and from my own experience and from what others have posted, it mostly seems to happen after diagnosis when your glucose levels are coming down. It normally settles down after a while.

What are your glucose levels like at the moment?

Reactions: 3 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, just wondering does anyone else have there hair falling out. I have been dignosed with T2 for a few months doing well on eating,losing weight and have cut down my stess level. But,i have noticed that my hair is falling out. I normally have thick curly hair. When,i washed my hair clumps of hair was coming out. But,now my hair is has gone very thin and had to cut my hair very short. Thanks
This is also discussed in the following thread
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hair-loss-due-to-type-2-diabetes.32233/

Reactions: 2 people

Fay44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Fay44 ,

It's not unusual and from my own experience and from what others have posted, it mostly seems to happen after diagnosis when your glucose levels are coming down. It normally settles down after a while.

What are your glucose levels like at the moment?
My level is 5.9

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have you had your thyroid levels checked?

D

Deleted member 182154

Me!!! But it did settle once I got my bs weekly/monthly in the 6-6.5 range.

D

Deleted member 182154

Took 6 months or so tho for that stability. Hope you are ok x

Odette48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, Exercise and getting old
Hi fay44. I was diagnosed last June type 2 with hba1c of 51, managed to lose nearly two stone and my last 3 hba1c results have been 38, so quite pleased with myself thinking I can manage this, (except the last couple of weeks really struggling to leave the carbs alone - but that's another issue). I knew my hair was thinning a little bit on top but put it down to putting it up a lot in a clip when I was younger, also my mum colours it for me and has said on several occasions its thinning a bit. I was in complete denial as I am always known by everyone has 'her with all the hair' which like you is or was shall I say thick and curly. This last week or say the truth has hit home and my hair has probably halved on the top part of my scalp and the forehead hairline. I have just spent a couple of days in tears and feel sick about it, and also googled like mad in the hope it is not permanent. I am on 3 x 500mg of Metformin. Is it the medication, which I am now thinking of stopping because of this or is it the uncontrolled blood sugar Levels before I was diagnosed or is it the change in diet and the weight loss (Which was very gradual stone and half in 8 months) or is it menopause? Feel so desperate now and hope signing up to this website will help me feel I am not alone,

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dude you are not alone. I am also know for having big hair. Go big or go home I always say. It has been getting thinner lately. I am just over 2 months diagnosed, have lost over half a stone, on very low carb high fat diet, take 2 x 500mg of Metformin although I had already made massive strides to lower sugar levels before I got the pills. I am hopeful it will settle down and get better, have bought some biotin to help, not sure if it will. If not I will enter my Liz Taylor wearing turban phase and get some massive diamonds.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dude you are not alone. I am also know for having big hair. Go big or go home I always say. It has been getting thinner lately. I am just over 2 months diagnosed, have lost over half a stone, on very low carb high fat diet, take 2 x 500mg of Metformin although I had already made massive strides to lower sugar levels before I got the pills. I am hopeful it will settle down and get better, have bought some biotin to help, not sure if it will. If not I will enter my Liz Taylor wearing turban phase and get some massive diamonds.
Do you know what the Curse of the Hope Diamond is??????

Mr Hope!

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed many owners hanged, torn apart by wild dogs, left destitute. There's blood in the diamond's ledger for sure. Maybe something a little smaller for me. Or I could play it safe and go for 'diamondish'.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed many owners hanged, torn apart by wild dogs, left destitute. There's blood in the diamond's ledger for sure. Maybe something a little smaller for me. Or I could play it safe and go for 'diamondish'.
surely a diamond dish would be expensive, Non? Or have i misread it?

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hahaha. Yes I want all my crockery, cutlery and nick nackery forged in diamond.