Does anyone have a list of 1 aday long lasting insulins?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

As per the topic is there some place I can get a list of the background long lasting insulins that can be injected once a day that are nor Lantus.

thanks

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest as far as I'm aware there aren't many, have you tried googling long acting insulin? it may come up with something, Tresiba is usually once a day, that's what I'm on x

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

As per the topic is there some place I can get a list of the background long lasting insulins that can be injected once a day that are nor Lantus.

thanks

Tresiba and Toujeo. Some people use Levemir as a once a day insulin but most need 2 doses. There is always the pump too...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The only one that really lasts a full 24 hours consistently is Tresiba (Degludec). Lantus, Toujeo & Abasaglar (Glargine) and Levemir (Detemir) can all have a noticeable drop off after anywhere from 12 to 18-20 hours, depending on units dosed per kg of bodyweight.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
nrendo.2017.39-f3.jpg

Does this help?
Glargine = Lantus
Glargine U300 = Toujeo
Detemir = Levemir
Degludec = Tresiba
(I might have missed some brands, especially the non-European ones)

Personally, I'm scared as s**t of Lantus, so I don't trust Toujeo either. But as I'm very happy with my switch from Lantus to Tresiba, I didn't really look further into Toujeo.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, I'm scared as s**t of Lantus, so I don't trust Toujeo either. But as I'm very happy with my switch from Lantus to Tresiba, I didn't really look further into Toujeo.

What makes you say this mate? TBH i'm not convinced by it either and am looking into alternatives.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What makes you say this mate? TBH i'm not convinced by it either and am looking into alternatives.
I've experienced a horrible lantus hypo. Your DN has probably never heard of it and you have to google pretty deep to find information about it. As far as I remember, the science behind it is that Lantus has been made long-acting by making it react with fat cells to form chrystals. Those chrystals are then slowly absorbed, making the Lantus last for almost a day. (correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't look it up again, but it is something like that) Now if you hit a small blood vessel, the insulin doesn't have time to form chrystals and acts like short-acting insulin. Let's just say I'm happy I've woken up again. I think I was lucky that I had a late meal that day with a lot of carbs and fat. When the hypo hit I managed to get a lot of sugar in me before going unconcious. Woke up some 2 hours later, still hypo, and ate more. Spend the rest of the day googling and informed my DN that I wanted another long acting right now.
As a bonus, the crippling aches in my muscles or joints disappeared, an the Tresiba doesn't sting!

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right!! I am getting aches and pains in my muscles and joints too, since switching to Lantus in Jan. 30 years plus on the 30/70 regime and been lifting for about 20 years with no joint or muscle pains at all part from 'the muscle burn' after a good session.

Am I right in thinking that Glargine U300 (Toujeo) is basically Lantus but a stronger version or is a completely different make up?

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't know about Toujeo, but I've just been moved from Levemir to Tresiba and it's been going really well. There's no spikes at times when the previous dose might be wearing off, just all nice and flat. No stinging, and only 1 shot a day instead of two like I did on Levemir. I feel like it's giving my legs a bit of a rest too.

Reactions: Antje77

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does Tresiba work for people that are very active?
Why would it not? I'm very active and haven't had issues with either Levemir or Tresiba. I can exercise with no Novorapid active and stay perfectly stable throughout

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does Tresiba work for people that are very active?
On days that I'm very active (my activities are irregular, so I can't really adjust my basal to that) I might need to eat (half) a slice of bread without bolusing after about 4 hours of hard work, and again after 6 hours or so to counteract my basal insulin. But I would have wanted to eat lunch anyway, so I tend to save part of my lunch to eat when my bs is slowly dropping. Works fine for me. I don't need to take a break for it either, the bread just sits in my pocket and I take a couple of bites when needed.