Does Anyone Have Experience Of Reducing / Coming Off Insulin?

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband was diagnosed with T2 just over about 2.5 weeks ago. He had Bell's Palsy and had to treat it with a very strong dose of steroids. As a result, they had no choice but to start him on insulin. We are now in the process of reducing his doses down and we were getting some encouraging levels. Our diabetes nurse has advised us to continue stepping down by a unit at a time. She is away this week, so not around for advice.

We have been eating as LCHF as safely possible. He is also on Metformin 500mg twice a day. They plan to increase this dose but not sure what difference this will make. The problem is that we have reached a bit of a plateau and wondering if we are setting our goals to high. He's on Abasaglar long acting starting at 12 and now down to 7 units in the morning. He also has Humalog before meals starting at 11 and now down to 5 or 6. When he was admitted his BG was 20 and his HBAC1 was 122! A few days ago we were getting levels in the 5-7 mark, although his fasting BG is stubbornly sticking between 8-9.5. Things are now creeping up again. I have been inputting the levels into MySugr app and his estimated HBAC1 is 55. A long way to go, but a big improvement.

Just interested if anyone else has had this experience and what levels their nurse or GP were happy with to stop insulin.

D

Deleted Account

Being type 1, I have no experience of coming off insulin.
However, if your husband's fasting BG remains higher than you want, it suggests to me, he needs more long acting insulin (Abasaglar) as this is what will break down the sugar that continuously drips from his liver at all times.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting that you suggest that, as my instinct was to increase the long acting by a few units and continue dropping the Humalog.