Does anyone know if Saunas / Spas

Heblady

etc is a problem for a diabetic?? I love places like this ( especially on holiday) I dont think my body is reacting so well to them now.
Any thoughts ???

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Heat will affect Bg levels, hence the reason why Diabetic's are often advised to use Sauna's and Hot Tub's with caution. Showers and Baths are no different. It usually goes down but many have found it can also rise. Me included.......

The heat from the bath water or a shower will dilate blood vessels, which improves blood flow and helps the body use insulin better, that is why the use of hot tubs can be dangerous for some people with Diabetes.

It can also affect your blood pressure readings too, making it drop and perhaps feel light headed. It's a well documented effect that all Diabetic's but particularly those using hypo inducing medication need to be aware of. The temp of the water should not be too hot, however relaxing it might feel.

Another reason to be careful is that your feet are also at risk, especially if you have a cut. Any bacteria in the tubs can quickly find it's way in........

Been in one myself but made sure the water was at a suitable temperature, and there was no cuts/scratches on my feet. Just be careful, that's all.

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Re: Sweating In The Sauna ???

This post really interested me:- Last week for the first time ever at 66yr a friend encouraged me to go to our local Swimming pool, not to go in the pool, but to go into the Jacuzzi etc.
There is a notice on the wall to take care if a person has any circulation problems. I must admit I did ignore that. My feet doo trouble be occasionally. I also after 10 mins in the jacuzzi ventured into the Steam room, then into the Sauna. I enjoyed a cuppa (naughty) chocolate and a rest on the beds before driving home. Julia went in the pool. I really enjoyed the experience and hope to join her this coming week. On the wall of the Pool is a large notice informing people with diabeties to inform the life guard.
I was even tempted to have swimming lessons. They told me that they have 1 swimming instructor in the pool to 3 brave people. I am still thinking, I have the nerve to go.
take care.
T2 on medication.

Heblady

Very interesting..Thanks for the replys..I had to stop going to the hydrotherrapy pool ( too hot) it really made me ill ( was going to help athritic hands) :( It was the one night in the week that I looked forward to.
The normal pool doesnt affect me..the jacuzzi ( not hot) is fine BUT think I will have to avoid steam/sauna. :(

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi heb
do you not feel dehydrated when you go to the sauna?

Heblady

No..coz I do 5 mins in..then water then 5 mins sit, then 5 mins in again ( This is the only way I can do iT) :?

sahlie

Diabetics should consult a doctor before using a sauna/spa. However, it is a good idea to be informed the benefits and concerns of saunas and diabetics. When the human body is exposed to the kind of intense heat produced by a sauna, the capillaries dilate, so the heart has to work harder to send blood to them. Because high blood pressure and other heart concerns are common for diabetics, it is clear to see the potential danger of saunas for diabetics. Additionally, saunas typically dehydrate the body by releasing sweat through the skin's pores. This also poses a potential danger for diabetics.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Whilst you should always consider risks and heed warnings, in my own experience I use the sauna and steam in my local gym on a regular basis and it has no adverse affect on my BSs at all. I guess it's down to the individual again - what works for some diabetics doesn't for others :roll: