Does buying own strips affect NHS funding?

Actaeon70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, drunk people
Hi

If you buy your own meter and pay for the test strips yourself, does this affect whether the NHS will pay for any other treatment you require? (I've been offered a meter upgrade, but the local NHS don't provide the strips for the meter in question, and the meter I'm using is almost a decade old now and doesn't meet the new standards).

Regards
Actaeon70

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I wouldn't have thought that buying a meter and strips yourself would prevent you getting NHS treatment. A meter and strips aren't medical treatment, just testing equipment. A lot of people, especially T2s, on here buy their own meters and strips, and it doesn't effect our NHS treatment even if some GPs disapprove of self-testing.

Reactions: 2 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are using Insulin or Gliclazide and you were being prescribed test strips, as long as your new meter uses the same strips your GP should continue to prescribe the appropriate strips, my meter is over 10 years old and still working fine though I do have a spare just in case it goes pop.
Your buying your own meter and test strips shouldn't affect any other treatment you receive.