Type 2 Does eating less carbs affect appetite

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So after a few bad weeks where I seemingly let my carb intake go through the roof. Sugar addiction back in full force, I’ve now had 6 good, very good days.
So good I’ve realised how good I feel inside and out (if you ignore the hot the flu aches and pains etc). But my skin is better, my stomach feels better.
But seemingly my appetite has reduced. Although I try to include more than say a low carb diet I actually feel far more better the lower I go (not always practical especially when working (today struggled to stay above 5 at times)
I still eat but I am just not particularly hungry. I guess at times I’m
Eating because I have to in order to do my job. And I guess because I feel off because my body isn’t particularly liking the 4s still. I shake like anything lol!!
Tonight when I got home I was hungry (more slight stomach pains) but I just really couldn’t be bothered to eat so ended up with a couple of chicken thighs and couple spoons of peanut butter and hot choc.
Is it normal for appetite to drop when eating fewer carbs?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. The more carbs you eat the hungrier you are. When you work your way through carb addiction, your appetite decreases.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Carb flu symptoms?

Sorry.. Back to your query. Yes carb eating in excess can cause cravings for more. Like all addictions I'm told.

However I went very low carb but craved protein. Hence my protein fuelled my body instead of carbs and I struggled to lose weight through overeating. I consumed too many calories for my immobile state.

I am having a full bypass soon to help with the dynamics I need for my body. Its not for everyone though.
Loads here have lost on lc only. I am on huge amounts of insulin to feed my obese body the correct balance of glucose/insulin even on 800cals or lchf.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I would say that appetite 'normalises' after years (decades?) of being overfed on carbs. Members report recognising real hunger instead of the carb munchies and that hunger comes at the appropriate times. Fats and protein promote satiety, carbs do not.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So after a few bad weeks where I seemingly let my carb intake go through the roof. Sugar addiction back in full force, I’ve now had 6 good, very good days.
So good I’ve realised how good I feel inside and out (if you ignore the hot the flu aches and pains etc). But my skin is better, my stomach feels better.
But seemingly my appetite has reduced. Although I try to include more than say a low carb diet I actually feel far more better the lower I go (not always practical especially when working (today struggled to stay above 5 at times)
I still eat but I am just not particularly hungry. I guess at times I’m
Eating because I have to in order to do my job. And I guess because I feel off because my body isn’t particularly liking the 4s still. I shake like anything lol!!
Tonight when I got home I was hungry (more slight stomach pains) but I just really couldn’t be bothered to eat so ended up with a couple of chicken thighs and couple spoons of peanut butter and hot choc.
Is it normal for appetite to drop when eating fewer carbs?

Cana - Now that you are discovering the positive impacts of reducing the carbs, I would urge you to work through this apparent barrier you have with the 5s. Once that goes, it could be so liberating for you, in terms of appetite versus work.

I'm not a person who routinely fasts, but wanted to fast on a long haul flight, as I wasn't confident the gluten-free meal would be anything decent. All I did to prepare myself was do a few days on zero carb (aside from a few cups of tea with milk). As a low carber of 5 years standing, I was astonished how easy and comfortable it was.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Cana - Now that you are discovering the positive impacts of reducing the carbs, I would urge you to work through this apparent barrier you have with the 5s. Once that goes, it could be so liberating for you, in terms of appetite versus work.

I'm not a person who routinely fasts, but wanted to fast on a long haul flight, as I wasn't confident the gluten-free meal would be anything decent. All I did to prepare myself was do a few days on zero carb (aside from a few cups of tea with milk). As a low carber of 5 years standing, I was astonished how easy and comfortable it was.

I think part of the problem with the 5s is for me to drove I have to be above 5. I’m always slightly nervous of being too close to 5 itself because technically I’m not supposed to eat on a lesson. So if I then can’t eat fir couple hours it can go under 5.
There’s the legal side and I don’t want to be driving or teaching and not functioning properly.

Reactions: ickihun

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think part of the problem with the 5s is for me to drove I have to be above 5. I’m always slightly nervous of being too close to 5 itself because technically I’m not supposed to eat on a lesson. So if I then can’t eat fir couple hours it can go under 5.
There’s the legal side and I don’t want to be driving or teaching and not functioning properly.

Cana - "5 to drive" is for those on insulin and blood glucose lowering drugs. Forgive me if I remember wrongly, but you are on Metformin? Metformin isn't classified as a blood glucose lowering drug, in this context.

Bearing in mind my last HbA1c was 4.6%, equating to an average blood glucose of 4.7, I'd have to eat prior to getting behind the wheel almost every time. I don't drive for a living, but it still wouldn't be practical or fun.

upload_2019-3-30_5-43-30.png

I had a look on your profile and it doesn't give us any clue what medication you are on. It could be helpful to posters to add that, in order to potentially enhance the quality of responses to your posts.

You can add that information by going to your account settings on your browser.

Reactions: Shas3

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Cana - "5 to drive" is for those on insulin and blood glucose lowering drugs. Forgive me if I remember wrongly, but you are on Metformin? Metformin isn't classified as a blood glucose lowering drug, in this context.

Bearing in mind my last HbA1c was 4.6%, equating to an average blood glucose of 4.7, I'd have to eat prior to getting behind the wheel almost every time. I don't drive for a living, but it still wouldn't be practical or fun.

View attachment 32083

I had a look on your profile and it doesn't give us any clue what medication you are on. It could be helpful to posters to add that, in order to potentially enhance the quality of responses to your posts.

You can add that information by going to your account settings on your browser.

I’m on forxiga. I can’t add it to profile. Using website doesn’t let me log in and app doesn’t seem to have function to do it.

The 5 to drive is for those on insulin etc but Dr told me if being diabetic and under 5 could raise issues if anything happened so best to keep over.
And to be fair I don’t feel amazing under 5 so wouldn’t want to drive.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Carb flu symptoms?

Sorry.. Back to your query. Yes carb eating in excess can cause cravings for more. Like all addictions I'm told.

However I went very low carb but craved protein. Hence my protein fuelled my body instead of carbs and I struggled to lose weight through overeating. I consumed too many calories for my immobile state.

I am having a full bypass soon to help with the dynamics I need for my body. Its not for everyone though.
Loads here have lost on lc only. I am on huge amounts of insulin to feed my obese body the correct balance of glucose/insulin even on 800cals or lchf.

Why do you ask carb flu symptoms?

When I first got diagnosed I went no carb then lower carb and didn’t really feel the difference. Not sure if just because i hadn’t really noticed how I’ll I was.

But this time I’m eating more protein but to be honest some of the time I’m eating because I know I need to rather than I’m hungry.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I would say that appetite 'normalises' after years (decades?) of being overfed on carbs. Members report recognising real hunger instead of the carb munchies and that hunger comes at the appropriate times. Fats and protein promote satiety, carbs do not.

That’s how it feels.
I keep getting moaned at by my trainer if I eat on a lesson (snack etc) but that then forces me to eat before a lesson regardless of whether I’m hungry or not.
Sometimes because I’m not hungry I just plain forget then get hungry and start to feel bit rough etc. Feels a bit like a lose lose situation.

No idea how to solve it.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Sorry fir the moaning guys. Seem to have woken up in a stressed mood. Over thinking and generally feel woe is me!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m on forxiga. I can’t add it to profile. Using website doesn’t let me log in and app doesn’t seem to have function to do it.

The 5 to drive is for those on insulin etc but Dr told me if being diabetic and under 5 could raise issues if anything happened so best to keep over.
And to be fair I don’t feel amazing under 5 so wouldn’t want to drive.

Your login details are the same for the website as the App, so that seems odd.

As an expediency, if you would like me to I can add that to your profile for you. Do you take anything else for your diabetes?

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Why do you ask carb flu symptoms?

When I first got diagnosed I went no carb then lower carb and didn’t really feel the difference. Not sure if just because i hadn’t really noticed how I’ll I was.

But this time I’m eating more protein but to be honest some of the time I’m eating because I know I need to rather than I’m hungry.
OP may have carb flu, just something that I noticed in the tread and thought I should mention.
It reassuring to know not everyone suffers with it.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Your login details are the same for the website as the App, so that seems odd.

As an expediency, if you would like me to I can add that to your profile for you. Do you take anything else for your diabetes?

That would be great thank you.
No nothing else (not at mo anyway- if my sugars don’t behave by 15/4 it might be different but I’ll tell you)

Can you add I’m t2 as well please.

For future reference can you just tell me which bit to go into. I tried signature on app but it doesn’t let me do anything

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be great thank you.
No nothing else (not at mo anyway- if my sugars don’t behave by 15/4 it might be different but I’ll tell you)

Can you add I’m t2 as well please.

For future reference can you just tell me which bit to go into. I tried signature on app but it doesn’t let me do anything

Will do. It may not be a for a short while, as I'm not at my desk at present, but it will be done.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That’s how it feels.
I keep getting moaned at by my trainer if I eat on a lesson (snack etc) but that then forces me to eat before a lesson regardless of whether I’m hungry or not.
Sometimes because I’m not hungry I just plain forget then get hungry and start to feel bit rough etc. Feels a bit like a lose lose situation.

No idea how to solve it.

By trainer do you mean personal trainer as in a trainer in a gym?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
By trainer do you mean personal trainer as in a trainer in a gym?

No work trainer. I train people to be driving instructors as well so he trained me

M

Member496333

First time I dipped into fours after diagnosis, I thought I was dying. Now I’m at my best in that range. Takes the body time to adapt to changes.