Does It Really Matter When You Take Metformin ?

tubamanandy

I'm on 2 x Metformin (slow release)/day for T2D.

I used to take one in morning and one at teatime. Recently been on hols and started to take both in morning - does it really make any difference if you take both together ?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I take mine as prescribed.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Because yours are slow release my advice would be to take them as directed.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Main thing keep to a regular routine taking them with food tends easy unpleasant effects for those who suffer from them.

DavyPaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
negative moaning people.
from an NHS site:
Metformin comes as 2 different types of tablet - standard-release tablets and slow-release tablets.

• Standard-release tablets release metformin into your body quickly. You may need to take them several times a day depending on your dose.
  • Slow-release tablets dissolve slowly so you don't have to take them as often. One dose in the morning is usually enough.
so, with food. standard release spaced out. slow release as convenient?

Reactions: Hdm10564

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to take Metformin SR 1000 ,1 in morning after breakfast and 1 after my main meal in the evening ,but when the GP lowered the dosage to 750g he told me to take both in the evening in case I forgot !!
Carol

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@carty -Are you really insulin dependent? That's how you are showing up on my screen:

carty.PNG

If you're simply Type 2, would you mind changing your profile? There's a bug with the software - if you look at the drop down directory, you will likely see 2 entries for Type 2 (showing after Type 1, on lines 2 and 3 of the list). You'll need to select the first listed Type 2 to fix the glitch. Would be a big help and avoid confusion.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry not very computer literate when I go onto me it shows type 2 I probably need step by step instructions !

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@carty

If you hover over your profile pic/name on the right hand side of the top line of the screen, you'll get a drop down menu - click on "Personal Details".
If you scroll down, you should see a heading "Type of Diabetes" - click on the down arrow to the right of the box. You'll get a display similar to the following:

Type 1
Type 2
Type 2 (on my screen this is the one that selects the insulin-dependent Type 2 - this line may come up highlighted in blue)
Gestational
etc.

Move your cursor until you are on the second line from the top of the list, then scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on "Save Changes".

Hopefully that will work.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@carty
Sorry, but I have to go offline now.

Even if it already says Type 2, please move your cursor to line 2 and select that one.
I'll check back tomorrow and let you know if that fixes it to remove the insulin dependent display that I'm currently seeing.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I take a single 1mg after my evening meal. That's what the sawbones told me to do.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Y
I'm on 2 x Metformin (slow release)/day for T2D.

I used to take one in morning and one at teatime. Recently been on hols and started to take both in morning - does it really make any difference if you take both together ?
Yes. Taking as prescribed would avoid adverse affects. And better control.