1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Does Low Carb Cause Hair Loss?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Jayne1983, Sep 27, 2021.

1. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

I think you misunderstood a little. ANY change of diet, in any direction, can cause a temporary loss if it’s abrupt or drastic. It’s about a shock to your system not low carb per se. So that’s not a reason to avoid low carb to control diabetes. It is a reason to perhaps work into it a little more gradually. Most people don’t suffer from it when going low carb. And if you have suffered hair loss for years it sounds like there’s a very different cause for yours.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OB87

OB87 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had some hair loss the same time as I had some other symptoms of diabetes which might have been related to high blood sugars.

Insulin resistance can also cause hair loss in some people. The hair works on 3-6 months cycles so usually a delayed response so if your blood sugars are fine then it might improve soon.

3. Jayne1983

Jayne1983 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi everyone thanks for getting back to me so today I went to take my Apple cider vinegar and when I was looking at the box I seen it had chromium in them so I googled it and it says side effects mood changes and head ache and I’ve had that the past month I’ve only been on them a month. Well this type and it also says chromium causes hair loss so I think it could be these I normally just buy Holland and Barrett’s make. But seen these on offer on Amazon. I will ask the doctor what he thinks but for now I’m not taken them xx

4. danziger

danziger Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My hair seems to have thinned a bit as carbs have reduced; hopefully temporarily but will look into B vitamins/mineral deficiencies if not.

5. pixie1

pixie1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My hair has become thicker and grows very quickly rather than thinner. A part from that, there hasn't been any changes, since losing weight and low carbing 8 yrs ago. Hair lose could be due to other medical condition.
    Well done in your weight lose

6. Robbity2

Robbity2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I actually noticed minor problems with both my hair and my nails when I ended up on a rather too high carb diet prior to diagnosis, but in retrospect I think it was probably due to not getting enough protein. Things improved when my diet did after I started low carb.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook