Does metformin & Trulicity cause extreme tiredness/ depression?

Em1981

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Ok so I have had poor mental health most of my life. I suffer from repeated episodes of depression.

However since being on metformin and more recently Trulicity injection I am always tired. Not just normal tired but can sleep all day and night tired.

I feel as though my body is totally giving up on me. I am 36 and feel 90. Headaches, general aches and pains, exhausted.

I am constantly ill with one thing or another. Throats infections and colds etc.

I am really starting to slip into a deep depression. I just feel like giving up on life. What is going on with me? Is it diabetes or medication or just me?

Hope this ramble makes some kind of sense.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is your diabetic control like ? High readings can cause tiredness.
Metformin made me feel dreadful, how long have you been taking it ? It can also cause a B12 deficiency, have you had that checked ?
Sounds like you need an appointment with your GP and don't hold back on telling them how you feel.
Sending hugs and positive thoughts xx

Reactions: Em1981

Em1981

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thank you. I think I will go and get checked out. They are not massively high. But lately I haven't been eating healthy foods. I ate half a tub of Hagen Daaz ice cream yesterday!
I just felt that ill and miserable, it was a total f@@k it moment.
I was doing ok even getting 5.6 fasting and somewhere in the high 6's 2 hours after food.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi em1981 not to sure about metformin as I've never used it but I am on trulicity weekly injection it's usually only for type 2 but I'm type 1 on insulin hospital said give it a go and see how my sugars react supposed to keep them stable well I started using it last august and the first thing I noticed was I was getting restless nights then around Xmas started getting aches and pains in legs and arms and headache never get these so in march I stopped using it please note I did notify my doctor and hos before I stopped using it and after couple of weeks headaches went along with aches and pains and tiredness so I'm guessing it was the trulicity so it maybe a good idea to see you're doctor and just explain how you feel and see if it's connected but please don't stop the trulicity without medical advice let us know what happens all the best big hugs also.

karengroves47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Iam on Trulicity , Metformin and Jardiance , my fatigue is caused by very high bloods and anaemia .Get anaemia checked out as I only found out I've had it since 2019 , it is anaemia of chronic illness .GP not treating it as said need to sort diabetes out first

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi em1981 not to sure about metformin as I've never used it but I am on trulicity weekly injection it's usually only for type 2 but I'm type 1 on insulin hospital said give it a go and see how my sugars react supposed to keep them stable well I started using it last august and the first thing I noticed was I was getting restless nights then around Xmas started getting aches and pains in legs and arms and headache never get these so in march I stopped using it please note I did notify my doctor and hos before I stopped using it and after couple of weeks headaches went along with aches and pains and tiredness so I'm guessing it was the trulicity so it maybe a good idea to see you're doctor and just explain how you feel and see if it's connected but please don't stop the trulicity without medical advice let us know what happens all the best big hugs also.
I have been on trulicity for probably about months and get all those symptoms, constant headache, body aching, I seem to have permanent diahrrea. GP kept saying oh it’s IBS. Why would i suddenly develop IBS at 65? Yes weight and BS definetly gone down. But I’m now thinking all these horrible things happening to my body are down to the trulicity. Think it’s time to come off it. Thank you for sharing what’s happening to you. Going to ring the GP

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been on trulicity for probably about 18 months and get all those symptoms, constant headache, body aching, I seem to have permanent diahrrea. GP kept saying oh it’s IBS. Why would i suddenly develop IBS at 65? Yes weight and BS definetly gone down. But I’m now thinking all these horrible things happening to my body are down to the trulicity. Think it’s time to come off it. Thank you for sharing what’s happening to you. Going to ring the GP

AJOYJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
What is your diabetic control like ? High readings can cause tiredness.
Metformin made me feel dreadful, how long have you been taking it ? It can also cause a B12 deficiency, have you had that checked ?
Sounds like you need an appointment with your GP and don't hold back on telling them how you feel.
Sending hugs and positive thoughts xx
I got severely depressed while taking Trulicity, was tired, and sometimes couldn't get out of bed. I'm hoping that Trulicity was not the cause of it, as I just began another drug in the same class. I have struggled with depression all my life, but it was the worst ever, from what I remember. Metformin never affected my mood.