Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, I have posted this question as when its very warm/hot weather my readings go 'up' and I feel even worse! wilt, go more tired, head n eyes blurry n muggy, BS always spike up to mid/late teens. Just keep in shade [am very fair skinned/blonde] sip cool sugar free cordials n fan myself! Just wondering sat here if it affects others similar? :? Anna.x :?:

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Opposite effect with me ,, I seem to drop faster then hypo if not careful

Bob

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
anna29 said:
Just keep in shade [am very fair skinned/blonde] sip cool sugar free cordials n fan myself! Anna.x :?:

I'm disgusted that there's nobody to do the fanning for you! I'm fair skinned too so always seek shade I think it's just heat wears me down more as a psychological thing than a blood sugar thing-I'd rather be too cold than too hot as you can always put more on but there's a limit to what you can take off

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hiya gappy, Hubby been painting indoors [door frames] drove me out with turps smell fumes...! He gone to shops now for salad tor tea... know what you mean I too prefer to be cooler than too hot. Fancy a drink/fan n chat? am dressed covered up well ! ! Anna.x :wink:

ClaireG 06

Extremes of heat effect me, havn't noticed it so much in my BG levels but generally feel rotten if too hot or too cold.

jopar

It's not so bad now I've got my pump as I can react to whether changes a lot quicker than I used to..

Pre-pump days by the time I'd adjusted to the heat the whether turned and I was back to square one again.. But with the pump it's a case of TBRing my basal rate all sorted..

Me I have spent most of the day painting the shed and fence..

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, jopar. before you had your pump did the hot weather affect you? if so how? :?: you can cope better with hot weather more easily now your on a pump? is that correct? whats TBRing the basal rate? :?: You are far more experienced. Anna.x :)

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
anna29 said:
Hiya gappy, Hubby been painting indoors [door frames] drove me out with turps smell fumes...! He gone to shops now for salad tor tea... know what you mean I too prefer to be cooler than too hot. Fancy a drink/fan n chat? am dressed covered up well ! ! Anna.x :wink:
Oh If only you'd of said earlier I'd of told you pub I was at! Oh and I get free chips chucked on top of my cheap pizza so I could really woo you! (after all carb snack after a drink is recommended!) and also I must be doing something right my reading at diagnosis was 12.4 it's now 5.8! Oh well off to beach tomorrow (later today) where people wont be so covered up but will look really weird at the pale bloke who puts a towel on top of the wind break as shade! xxx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As the weather gets warmer I find I have to reduce both my insulins and increase them when it begins to get colder, not talking about great amounts but changes nonetheless.

Nigel

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
:lol: :lol: :lol: thats great gappy, know what you mean with your pale skin sticking out like a sore thumb amongst all the bronzed n tanned fab looking folk! Enjoy your day at the beach. Anna.x :D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
noblehead said:
As the weather gets warmer I find I have to reduce both my insulins and increase them when it begins to get colder, not talking about great amounts but changes nonetheless.

Nigel
Hiya nigel, interesting point is this mainly the case in hot/warm weather you find due to higher BS levels you have to reduce your insulins then when the weather cools go back up to normal ? units. If this is the case,? you have helped me immensely and it is actually exactly what I was wondering myself with weather changes. Anna.x :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
anna29 said:
Hiya nigel, interesting point is this mainly the case in hot/warm weather you find due to higher BS levels you have to reduce your insulins then when the weather cools go back up to normal ? units. If this is the case,? you have helped me immensely and it is actually exactly what I was wondering myself with weather changes. Anna.x :)

Hi Anna,

Higher bg levels would require more insulin and not less, by reducing the dose you would only serve to increase your bg further. I'll explain my reasons for needing to adjust in the spring/summer months. When the good weather arrives my bg would plummet should I remain on the same dose's as in the colder winter months, therefore reducing my basal insulin by just 2 units and tweaking my bolus to carb ratio's I can avoid the dreaded hypo's and feel safer when out and about.

As I tend to walk 5-10 miles a day depending on work and weekend activities, the warmer weather increases my insulin sensitivity, but also lets not forget that exercising in the heat of the sun requires more of an effort so you burn energy much quicker than in colder conditions. This morning I had a 7 mile walk with the dog, I was bang on 6mmol before setting off but took a medium size banana to eat on the way, came back and tested 30 mins after and was 6.4mmol so just a small increase in my bg, although I'll be the first to admit it doesn't always work out this easy. I always make sure I carry my mobile everywhere when walking and have fast acting glucose on me in the event of a hypo.

Nigel

iHs

I too am like Nigel.

When the weather temp starts to go above 24c I find that I start going hypo if I don't lower my insulin.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, thanks for taking time to reply with so much helpful advice and information, I really appreciate it. Ahh this could be how n why I wilt so much [yet my BS is still erratic] up then just dips a bit! also when its too warm I do eat far less than when its cooler weather. Drink more watery cordials thou. Sometimes I feel totally drained and shakey could this be me not being hypo aware? As victoza never induced serious hypo.Just what makes this happen with the insulin levels in the heat? Anna.x :?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
anna29 said:
Hi, thanks for taking time to reply with so much helpful advice and information, I really appreciate it. Ahh this could be how n why I wilt so much [yet my BS is still erratic] up then just dips a bit! also when its too warm I do eat far less than when its cooler weather. Drink more watery cordials thou. Sometimes I feel totally drained and shakey could this be me not being hypo aware? As victoza never induced serious hypo.Just what makes this happen with the insulin levels in the heat? Anna.x :?

Sounds like your 'erratic' levels is the reason why you feel drained and shaky which isn't the norm and some adjustments are urgently needed. Victoza isn't a insulin but I believe it mimics hormones to encourage the pancreas to produce insulin, hopefully other type 2's using Victoza might be able to offer advice here, but to be honest I would speak with your diabetes care team and discuss your control with them. I see you also inject a basal insulin (levemir) so the hypo feelings could well be down to the dose being set too high but difficult to tell without knowing your daily bg readings, as I say it's best to get this checked out by your HCP and hopefully they'll advise on how best to resolve your issues.

Nigel

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, thanks nigel, I am seeing a new DSN this weds, yep am only on victoza n levemir at the moment. My BS levels have always read high, I have never yet come down to acceptable levels [consultant told me 7 or below to begin with] I do have heart problems [had heart repair] and the warm / hot weather does affect my cardiovascular system too. So with this n the shakey drained feeling I never quite know where I am...? Thanks, Anna.x :)

dawnw

heat as far as i now works the same way as exercise,if u over-heat ur sugar levels drop i was warned when first diagnosed and i do feel quite rough and shakey when to hot the thing i was told that surprised me was if u do aerobic exercise it has a emediate affect on ur levels ,muscle workouts affect u later on weird

louiseb

the heat makes my levels drop.
I basically hate this weather as if im not careful I can hypo, not to mention the dreaded sun I hate it as it has such an adverse affect on lupus cases a major lupus flare for me.

Carol11

I have never done well in this HHH weather and it has been an exceptionally hot summer here this year, we're pushing 35c today and I have noticed my bgs are up and consequent insulin use has really gone up.