Doing the right thing

nannoo_bird

I hate this freakin' disease. I am now around 13 years a T2. For many years I was in denial. I now follow a low carb diet, and try to exercise and have a healthy lifestyle. My DN has changed my insulin, and I now have to take it before breakfast and before dinner, which is fine if my schedule follows a regular pattern. But if things change - if I am travelling and don't have a chance for breakfast or if I only snack for dinner if I am at a seminar or cocktail for work, then I don't know what to do, or I forget. I don't have the lifestyle of having the same regime every day. How do you guys who have a similar lifestyle ensure that you follow a safe medical schedule?

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I hate this freakin' disease. I am now around 13 years a T2. For many years I was in denial. I now follow a low carb diet, and try to exercise and have a healthy lifestyle. My DN has changed my insulin, and I now have to take it before breakfast and before dinner, which is fine if my schedule follows a regular pattern. But if things change - if I am travelling and don't have a chance for breakfast or if I only snack for dinner if I am at a seminar or cocktail for work, then I don't know what to do, or I forget. I don't have the lifestyle of having the same regime every day. How do you guys who have a similar lifestyle ensure that you follow a safe medical schedule?
It takes a lot of self discipline and practice. I get frustrated just like you. Yesterday I went over 18 through carelessness and I am still trying get below 9! You are not alone with this.

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, if a meal (breakfast or dinner - when I also take my Novomix insulin) isn't going to happen for whatever reason - I keep a supply of Salted Caramel Protein Bars - bought from Aldi here in Australia on hand. They feel a bit like a naughty treat - but are only 15g of carbs per bar - so not too bad unless you are going really ultra low carb. I find they fill me up and keep the BSL's at a quite acceptable level

Good luck - from quite a beginner to all this