Don't find this helpful

Ricku2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Below is a reply i received from my GP, I had a telephone appointment to discuss multiple hypos, 12 in the last 34 days, I took up the offer from Abbott to trial a Libra freestyle 2, this is the reason I discussed with my GP that it was highlighting hypos, and was backed up by finger prick test, it was between 0.3 to 0.5 different from the monitor, I am self financing the monitor now and it has helped me in understanding what food i can and can't eat, I have absolutely no signs of my levels being low apart from my phone alarm telling me I'm going low, the lowest reading i have had is 2.9 on the monitor and it was 3.4 via finger prick test, yet I'm being told not to regularly test my levels, I picked up the blood test form yesterday and had the blood test done this morning so will wait for the results of that, has anyone else experienced this with their GP?

I discussed your case with the practice team who felt it was very reassuring that you were asymptomatic of your low blood sugar levels. We felt it likely due to some of your lifestyle changes - and we commend you on your hard work! Given there are no symptoms, we would not suggest further regular monitoring of your blood sugars but should you wish to recheck your HbA1c level for diabetes, we can recheck this as it has been about 6 months since we last checked this (I've left a form at reception in case).

Edited by moderator to remove name of GP

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Hug
Reactions: jjraak

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @Ricku2 It is almost unheard of for a Type 2 on diet alone to suffer from real hypos, though many suffer from false hypos after their BG has dropped substantially and quickly.
Non-diabetics and Type 2's on diet alone, do get sometimes get low BG and never know about it because they don't test. But they get no symptoms because their liver quicky dumps some glucose into their bloodstream and the BG soon rises.

Unless you are taking some BG lowering medication that we are unaware of, I think that on balance your Gp's response is quite reasonable- except that it is useful to test around meals in order to find which foods to avoid.

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Ricku2

Many of us find the Libre tends to exaggerate low readings, and I'd trust the finger prick number over it (though that also has a margin of error).
If you're diet only I don't think occasional readings of 3.4 are anything to worry about.
For those of us on insulin they give us this 'keep 4 the floor' guidance and define anything below that as 'hypo', but that's more because they're worried about us losing warning signs then in the future it going much lower.

I've also seen <3.3 or <3.1 given as the hypo threshold for non-diabetics
https://bestpractice.bmj.com/topics/en-gb/509
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/11647-hypoglycemia-low-blood-sugar

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your low readings are in the night they may well be compressions lows were you roll on to the sensor.
It sounds like you are doing well at controlling your type 2.
I find because I get low but not dangerously low readings, especially in the night, and being sure I'm type 2 and not type1, that I turn the libre alarms off because I can't turn it low enough. The sensors were designed for type 1s where they are life saving , but i don't find the low alarm useful for type 2.

Reactions: Ricku2 and Antje77