Don't know what to think or do. Very confused.

rogerm

My experience when first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes:

I was given a test meter. Following instructions for the diabetic nurse I tested myself a couple of times a day at random times. This told me nothing except that my sugar levels varied. I then decided to use it how I wanted to. I tested myself just before every meal and then 1.5 to 2 hours after every meal, noting down what I had just eaten. After a few days I started to get a correlation between the type of food and the increase in sugar level. I got some surprises about which foods sent my sugar levels sky high. I used a lot of test strips and got in trouble from the doctors surgery for using too many. But this allowed me to vary my diet to reduce the peaks.

At diagnoses I was given an appointment with a Dietician. Apart from recommending a diet I could eat, she recommended that I read “The New Glucose Revolution Low GI Guide to diabetes”. This book transformed my life with diabetes. It easily available from Amazon. I was able to choose the foods I liked with a low GI (Glycemic Index). I was also able to eat some high GI foods in combination with others because one would counteract the other.

I hope my experiences help and before anybody suggests it I did not write the book. For the reasons detailed I would get a test meter, from your doctor or even buy one. Now I don’t have to use it, but still get good HbA1c results.

bofhvp

Hiya

I think what you really need to say to yourself is this "who is responable for your health"

if your answer is me ... buy a meter and ensure that your gp puts all your meter's need on repeat prescription. ie test strips and lancets etc.

if your answer is your gp / diabetic nurse ... sorry but you are wrong. the reason being, your gp / dn aren't around to test your bg before and after you have eaten. therefore, can not inform you what your daily bg are throughout the day. having your hb1c check every three / sx or twelve months doesn't tell you much other than your overall bg reading for the past 3 months (?)

if your gp / dn still insist that you don't need one. then inform them that you will be seeing a solicitor and write a up a letter that should anything happen to you that relates to your diabetes, your family will sue both of them. that should do the trick into getting the care you require. Drastic ... yes ... will it work ? did with me :D

Classy Lassy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm a new member diagnosed with type 2 early in the summer, have had 2 HBa1c tests but can anyone tell me should I fast before having my next test and does fasting affect your results? many thanks

Alizarin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty. Stupidity when it is due to laziness. Rules and regulations that are not based on common-sense …
the early days are confusing - and advice keeps changing as there is more research. But as to testing - I am sure that the reason nurses and doctors are reluctant to let you do this is twofold.
One - you might become too fixed on this and even be hypochronocial'
Two. (And i think this is the main one) although the meters are fairly cheap, the test strips are an ongoing cost, and not economical for the health Service. Find out if you can buy the strips privately … I find that being able to find out how my body reacts to various foods is essential to ongoing control. And it is amazing how the blood-sugars rise if you eat any big-carb food ! :D

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
Hi Classy Lassy, if you need to know if to fast or not just give the surgery a ring :D I do not need to fast for an HBa1c :wink:

visayas2

I would go back to the doctor and ask him how you are meant to learn how to control your blood sugar levels as someone newly diagnosed with type 2 if you can't measure your blood sugar levels after eating different foods. They will not give you test strips continuously but you need them whilst you are learning to control your condition.

One of the things that helps me is a daily walk for 1 hour, in my case it lowers my blood sugar levels and helps lose weight.

mpe

bopeep12300 said:
Been diagnosed type 2 approx 3 weeks now. On Metformin 2x500mg. My dn said I don't need to test my blood myself as I would never go high enough to have a hyper attack.

How can she, you or indeed anyone possibly know this without any monitoring?

She said I don't need to count carbs or anything just eat healthy.

The problem is that the so called "healthy diet" is very high in glucose.
There is even a risk that people attempting to "eat healthy" will actually increase their glucose intake. Which is something a newly diagnosed diabetic dosn't need.
The simplist advice would be "reduce/eliminate anything in the yellow section of the eatwell plate". But that would not be PC

Denbradford

I was told not to test myself.
I am T2 and always test 17.5, 20s and into HI so I have stopped testing.
Not tested for a week now. Had bacon egg and toms this morning at about 10.30, tested at 2pm and showed HI

grum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Noise, Clutter, Shopping, Gardening.
Hi Bopeep
Just read how confused you feel, like us all I think. All advice you have been given seems spot on, so many similarities and different ways of dealing with the problems that arise, it is a brilliant network.
Most type 2 don't get told to test, It is possible to get the Contour meters on line free I believe but buying test strips isn't so cheap. I test when I feel 'not right' generally it is when levels are down around 4 something (that can be on getting up in the morning as well as after walking) sometimes I have forgone lunch and acquired inward trembling, excuse for a cup of hot chocolate.
Now on 2 Metformin a day and have found levels settling down, recently had yearly check and told further check in 6mths (just to make sure it is staying that way or hopefully getting even better).
Night sweats, not every night, apparently down to the diabetes though age must be relevant too!
Golden rule - believe we rule the diabetes not it us, don't become obsessed by it, moderation in everything (that is same for non diabetics) and having regular exercise.
Hope you are beginning to 'see the wood from the trees' you will find what suits you best in time take it steady. Grum.