Don't put it all down to diabetes

fluff4brains

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just as an aside here, I presented to a local GP with what we presumed was a TIA (Trans Ischemic Attack - 'mini-stroke' - according to the NHS 111 service), and the GP was convinced that I was diabetic and had some sort of huge hyper episode, so sent me off to to have a starving blood test. Not exactly the best advice I have had. The results came back pretty inconclusive and so was asked to have another blood test at some stage.

Of course, the whole TIA thing wasn't actually taken on board by the GP, and I had another one less than a week later (before the second blood test!) - this time calling 999 as instructed by the original 111 operator. That was a serious one. Grand mal seizures, the lot.

Turns out it was a brain tumour (G4 GBM), and the large amounts of corticosteriods required to manage it (and the following surgery) sent me from a suspected pre-diabetes state (which I was controlling marvelously though I say so myself) into full-on Type 2 Diabetes with some pretty impressive Blood Glucose readings in the early days. The steroids have been reduced to a little trickle, I'm loving metformin as I think it's my liver that's panicking and creating glucose rather than the lack of insulin per se, so everything's under control.

But...

That wretched GP, so obsessed with diabetes to the extent of blinding himself to other causes, is not unique. There is, apparently, a form of Hyperglycemia when BG goes above 20 which causes all sorts of strange things, and I think this is what the GP was thinking of. But the fact that he asked me to do a startiving glucose test (it was 17:40 - so no food until the test at 07:30 next morning) without asking if I had lunch (I hadn't - the TIA happened at 11:00 and I was too unnerved to eat) was frankly appalling. OTOH, my regular GP and all the NHS teams I've been in contact with since have been brilliant.

Reactions: 4 people