Don't understand why this should happen

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@John93 whilst 8 agree there are numerous pitfalls when citing and considering “evidence” it seems odd that you would blindly believe those with vested interests without any. The personal experience of people in here with their weight loss, BGL, insulin levels, IR and OGTT must in those circumstances be just as valuable.

Sure there are “big boys” supporting the low fat mantra. They’ve been doing it since the start of the diabesity epidemic. The ones you mention are dealing with the consequences of failing to prevent/control/reverse/remit diabetes more than the cause of it. There is no consensus for a single cause of type 2 either as far as I can see. There is also rapidly growing support That the best available means of controlling type 2 and it’s consequences is to keep blood sugars and insulin down both of which reduce IR. there doesn’t seem to many claims to cure beyond those selling it!
Hope you find your answers.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Halfpint, as has been suggested by others, new testing might be a good idea as it sounds like you might have type 1.5 diabetes and will eventually need insulin. The other test worth having is a 4 hr OGTT - Dr Wes Younberg in California, who has been very successfully reversing type 2 diabetes for decades and is probably the most authoritive doctor on the subject, says the OGTT will show up insulin resistance and adrenal fatigue.

Another avenue worth exploring is that LONG TERM, the low carb diets can worsen insulin resistance and after a while, there is very little sugar getting into your cells. The longer the carb avoidance goes on the worse that gets. Low carb diet advocates seem to avoid the OGTT because it shows that diabetes is still the condition and its just getting managed by low carbs but the root cause of type 2 diabetes i.e.insulin resistance is getting worse. an article I stumbled across here on this site explains a bit https://www.reversediabetes.com.au/why-keto-and low-carb-diets-fail-to-reverse-diabetes.htm Really worth reading up /listening to Dr Younberg - he looks at the whole person when dealing with diabetes- from what you say about your other conditions, a more whole of person approach might be needed as diabetes doesn't exist in a vacuum, its always part of a much bigger metabolic mess as Youngberg describes it. I know saying anything that challenges low carb or keto on this site, goes over like a lead balloon, but worth keeping a very open and inquiring mind. Good luck.

John, can I ask you how you would define "long term" above, when discussing low carb, insulin resistance and OGTTs?