Do's & Don't list

lennycape

Hi I am looking for a reliable list of do's and don'ts to eat.

I eat loads of veggies & Fruit but never 100% sure if I am using the right veggies.

Eg. I bought Mealies / corn on the cob but I am not sure if I can eat it....

Does anyone have any good ideas on what to I can make with spinach please

Lenny

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
As is often repeated on this forum,we are all different,so the foods that are OK for one may raise the blood sugar of another.That's why it's important to test regularly in the early days,to find out which foods affect you and which don't.I don't eat a lot of fruit but do eat a lot of veggies.All the starchy foods raise my BS so I stay away from them as well but you may be lucky and they may not affect you.I often suggest to members that they buy a copy of Collins Gem Carb counter book,in this it tells you the amount of carbs in things.

ChocFish

Agree with Sugarless Sue's post, this is where testing comes in.

Re spinach, I often make this recipe:

Spinach and Cheese Bites

16 ounces cottage cheese
2 large eggs
4 egg whites
chopped spring onions
2 ounces shredded sharp cheddar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 garlic cloves ir as desired
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
20 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 ounce fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350

In a large bowl, whisk together cottage cheese, eggs, egg whites and spring onions until well combined. Mix in cheddar, butter, flour, salt, and garlic until thoroughly mixed. Fold in the spinach.

Scoop mixture into a 9" square baking dish coated with nonstick spray. Sprinkle the top with the fresh Parmesan.

Bake until set and the top is golden, about 45-55 minutes. Remove and let cool to room temperature to cut clean squares.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes I make creamed spinach, that is puree the spinach, fry a little bit of onion and some garlic, add the pureed spinach, season with salt, pepper, a pinch of nutmeg, a knob of butter and add a swirl of cream, have this with a fried egg on top and vegetable mash, its actually quite filling and very tasty, honest!

You can have this with chicken/fish or meat too

All the best

Karen

Attachments

• SpinachSquare3.jpg
    SpinachSquare3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,706

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes I make creamed spinach, that is puree the spinach, fry a little bit of onion and some garlic, add the pureed spinach, season with salt, pepper, a pinch of nutmeg, a knob of butter and add a swirl of cream, have this with a fried egg on top and vegetable mash, its actually quite filling and very tasty, honest!

Its interesting how some of us eat the same but slightly different, my version of this substitutes reduced fat creme fraiche.
I often use it as a filling in a rye flour pancake or a wholemeal tortilla (about 15 carbs for the rye flour one and fairly low gi) , put a poached egg on top and serve it with some tinned chopped tomatoes (add worcester sauce, a few basil leaves and a bit more garlic) and a sprinkling of parmesan

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
There is no such definitive list, but a simplified outline ( whichyou need to confirm for yourself )is:
Do eat: as much as you like meat, fish , eggs, cheese, tofu
green leaves,mushrooms, cauliflower..........eat moderately lentils beans
Take great care with
Anything containing sugar,i.e. jam, soft drinks, sweets, biscuits cakes.
anything containing flour,bread, pasta
other starchy foods, potatoes, parsnips grains
take care with fruits. Some are VERY high in sugars. e.g. pineapple is more than 10% sugar. some varieties of apples are also high sugar.
Get a book of nutrient values, so you can check foods.
the Collins little Gem calorie counter costs £4.99

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
phoenix said:

Its interesting how some of us eat the same but slightly different, my version of this substitutes reduced fat creme fraiche.
I often use it as a filling in a rye flour pancake or a wholemeal tortilla (about 15 carbs for the rye flour one and fairly low gi) , put a poached egg on top and serve it with some tinned chopped tomatoes (add worcester sauce, a few basil leaves and a bit more garlic) and a sprinkling of parmesan

I fry my spinach in a small amount of garlic butter, with pine nuts and mushrooms. I too add salt and pepper and nutmeg. I usually serve it with my meat course. It goes quite well with smoked trout.

lennycape

Hi thanks to all that replied ..... I will definitely try those recipes thanks .... I have looked locally for something on carb counting but being South Africa it is hard to find... I will see if a friend can send me something from the UK... thanks for all the advice....

lennycape

Hi i would like to be able to buy goods on ebay however cause i am in South Africa I cannot .... it is nuts but hey this is africa .... I will see if i can get a friend in the UK to send me something ....

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
No ebay there,or do they just not send there? Try amazon if you can get them,they also have the book.

lennycape

Yes you got that right WE DO NOT HAVE EBAY .... And people will not send to SA tooo .... believe me we have tried we have to go via a 3rd party (friends in the Uk) to buy what we want.... I tell you Africa is very different .... you will never believe how advanced you are in someways .... but then again we have the wonderful weather 32*c today but it is only the start of summer here...

Trinkwasser

http://www.diabetic-talk.org/freeveggies.htm

also fish especially, meat, nuts, cheese and eggs

Many but not all of us have problems with fruit except berries

Other things may or may not work, there's a lot of individual variation

Thanks to all for the spinach recipes, mainly I just boil it briefly and eat with fish. Time to get more adventurous!

frances8551

Hi there. As a general rule to help you out, non-starchy vegs are generally low in carb. Low carb vegetables include sprouts, greens (lettuces, spinach…), raddichio, celery, radishes, endives, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, mushrooms, peppers, avocados, tomatoes, cucumbers, asparagus, celery, carrots, pumpkin … I can’t think of any more right now, but yes, this is generally the kind of veggies you should be eating. Avoid starchy vegs like potatoes, corn, peas, beets etc.

Norm

Now I am confused! Members here are quite clearly saying that eating fruit is a problem. When I was diagnosed in May this year as type 2, I visited the diabetes clinic who gave me a leaflet published by Diabetes UK which said in answer to being able to eat certain fruit

All fruit and vegetables are extremely good for you.
Eating more can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease,
some cancers and some gut problems. You should aim to
eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables per day.
This also helps to improve the overall balance of the diet.
Eat a variety of different fruit and vegetables to ensure
maximum benefit.

What am I missing? :?

Trinkwasser

Norm said:
Now I am confused! Members here are quite clearly saying that eating fruit is a problem. When I was diagnosed in May this year as type 2, I visited the diabetes clinic who gave me a leaflet published by Diabetes UK which said in answer to being able to eat certain fruit

All fruit and vegetables are extremely good for you.
Eating more can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease,
some cancers and some gut problems. You should aim to
eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables per day.
This also helps to improve the overall balance of the diet.
Eat a variety of different fruit and vegetables to ensure
maximum benefit.

What am I missing? :?

They want you to die healthy.

Most fruits are basically bags of sugar. Berries are a better bet than citrus or apples but most people have definite do's and dont's which vary between individuals. I can do strawberries and blueberries, apples half at a time only, but I can only be in the same room as a banana for a limited amount of time before my BG spikes.

In New Zealand they say "Five Colours A Day" which is a good twist as many useful substances come in different coloured fruits and veg ( and salmon and prawns) concentrate on the veg and save the fruits for occasional use and avoid the fruit juice entirely and you probably won't miss out on much

http://www.diabetic-talk.org/freeveggies.htm

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The trick is to test.

I like porridge and it likes me, but an hour after eating it I'm ravenous. Thats not supposed to happen, but it does for me so I don't eat it anymore.

I do have the odd oatcake occasionally, including the fruit ones. Again, no bad effect on BS levels.

wiflib