Double Spike?

sshaw99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

just a quick question - is it possible to have a double spike in BS reading de[ending on what mix of foods you have for a meal? Ie if you have something with a high GI so releases sugar quickly and something with a low GI which releases sugar slowly can you get an initial spike followed by a drop then a subsequent spike?

Reason I ask is that for my meal this evening I had a home cooked curry consisting of the following:
1/2 chopped chicken breast, 1/2 green pepper (~30g), ~30g chopped courgette and ~30g chopped mushrooms.
My readings before the meal was 5.2, then 6.3 after 30mins, then 5.7 after 1 hour.

Is this just a good meal for me or is it possible if I continued testing after 1 hour I could see another second spike (I would keep testing but have to go somewhere and won't be able to test).

Thanks,
Steve

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

just a quick question - is it possible to have a double spike in BS reading de[ending on what mix of foods you have for a meal? Ie if you have something with a high GI so releases sugar quickly and something with a low GI which releases sugar slowly can you get an initial spike followed by a drop then a subsequent spike?

Reason I ask is that for my meal this evening I had a home cooked curry consisting of the following:
1/2 chopped chicken breast, 1/2 green pepper (~30g), ~30g chopped courgette and ~30g chopped mushrooms.
My readings before the meal was 5.2, then 6.3 after 30mins, then 5.7 after 1 hour.

Is this just a good meal for me or is it possible if I continued testing after 1 hour I could see another second spike (I would keep testing but have to go somewhere and won't be able to test).

Thanks,
Steve
Keep testing - and for a few hours if you had some rice. Rice can allegedly spike at 5 (yes, 5) hours.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It does mean your can't eat or drink for the 5 hours though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, you can have double spikes.

I think it depends on a number of things - the food, the food combos, your body's reaction (first and second insulin responses), fat, protein content...

We rarely see them (so have no idea how common they are) because we would have to test continuously... Maybe the new Abbot Libre is plotting them regularly...?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I see them often when I have something high in sugar and also something like rice and it also depends on the solubility of fats I have eaten. The second spike is never really that high (6ish)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a sort of double spike last night.

5.1 before tea
5.7 after 1 hour
5.0 after 2 hours
5.8 at bedtime (about 4 hours later)

My tea consisted of salmon, boiled egg, 2 pickled onions, cheese ( a lot), cherry toms and mayonnaise. That was about 5g carbs but a lot of protein and fat.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

5.1 before tea
5.7 after 1 hour
5.0 after 2 hours

My tea consisted of salmon, boiled egg, 2 pickled onions, cheese ( a lot), cherry toms and mayonnaise. That was about 5g carbs but a lot of protein and fat.

Technically, those readings are all pre prandial, for a non diabetic, so none of them were a spike.

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We rarely see them (so have no idea how common they are) because we would have to test continuously... Maybe the new Abbot Libre is plotting them regularly...?
I think most users use injected insulin so that is very different .
I agree with your answer about all the variables,I suspect it also depends on how well your insulin manages to suppress glucose from the liver (ie how much insulin you are producing v insulin resistance )
Interestingly though (and they don't know why, lots of speculation ) some people have 2 or even 3 peaks on an OGTT
you can see some examples in the graphs here (you can read the paper too but the link is just to demonstrate how variable they can be)
http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/300/4/R941

A

AnnieC

5.1 before tea
5.7 after 1 hour
5.0 after 2 hours

I could not eat that much protein in one meal it would be to much fat for me I would probably just have the salmon with more vegetables or salad

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
'Cheese cravings', could be a whole new thing in itself!

I've found I've been eating more of it this Christmas, and it does really become very, very addictive.

Reactions: 2 people