down and beaten

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
been to hospital today and I now feel that I should just forget I have diabetes and just get on with life. after weeks of low carb counting and staying under a100 carbs per day yes I have lost some weight but my bloods have gone up now told to up my lantus to 54 units and up my correction units to 2 for every 1 unit bloods are up so at tea time my bloods where at 19.5. for tea I had a pork stake 1 round of bread and butter 15g of carbs = 10.5 units of apidra + 24 units correction = 35 units and bloods now at 19.1 am I fighting a losing battle ??? yes I think so. all this and no control. I give in. we are all at a loss as to what to do next dbn said just keep uping the lantus every 4 days until it comes down but every 3-4 days it drops down to 6/7 for 3/4 days then up it will go for the next week or 2 then drops down all this insulin can not be good for me. but where to go from here I am at a loss. so do I just for get it and go on as I never had this bloody diabetes or do I still keep on and hope for the best??.
Hi Phip169, Hope that things are beginning to improve with those high BSs. I'm type 1 using novorapid, insulatard and 5x500mg metformin SR tablets. It's worrying when your DSN is puzzled to get your under control. My suggestion is the programmes called DESMOND and EXPERT for type 2 diabetics. I've had type 1 for 5 years and the last 4 years were hell...wrong info and incorrect insulins. Lantus almost did me in..caused me huge problems...However, new team and DAFNE has sorted me out. Don't give up, if you are type 2, ask to go on DESMOND course but if you are type 1 then there is DAFNE course...I cannot really comment on type 2 treatment but I know that sometimes with long lasting insulins , when you're waking up high having too much lantus can cause a REVERSE effect and cause you to go even higher....you go into hypo during the night and your liver kicks in producing glucose. GOOD LUCK PHIP.

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i am glad that i do not have a glucose meter when i starts my low carbing with metformin..

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
chalk and cheese situation, he's insulin dependent and in a bad emotional place at the moment. when his BG went haywire, he just couldn't face his diabetes for now. he may have felt like a failure [which he wasn't] because it sounds like he was trying hard.
get yourself a meter so you can check your diet.

Reactions: 2 people

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi every one
well iam still living just not been on for a bit. iam still doing good. still no insulin bg 18 to 26 but still feeling fine except I do get a bit moor sleepy in an afternoon and I have noticed some night cramps are getting moor often a lot of fun feelings in my feet at night time but is it to do with my bg or not??. now lost a total of 3 stone that's good. back to hospital next week. all hell will be to pay.