Dr Bernstein's Book

Pink

Hi all,

I just have a question for those of you who are using Dr Bernstein's book.

He talks about insulin sensatising agents and mimetics? Are any of you type 1s taking any of the things he's recommended. If so what? and did you get help from your GP?
I'm quite curious about the ALA and evening primrose oils tablets but would like to know if and what other type 1's are doing.

I also wanted to add me seeing a consultant isn't an option for me at the moment they've only given me an appointment for September even though I got numerous referals as I need to change my long acting medication. Simply the NHS don't want to know even though I just finished a HI Dap course in Feb so I'm doing all this pretty much solo. Ne info would be great.
Also does ne one know if there is a doctor in the UK that's practicing Bernstein's work? Private or NHS I would just love to speak to a physician that I can get answers from.

Thanks Pinkx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I am a T2 and have used the supplements and got T1 husband to use Benfotiamine.
I don't know of any doctors who follow Bernstein here. the local diabetologist, rubbishes him, but you could try the Bernstein website. And of course he's only in upstate New York, which isn't that far.
PS there's Dr. Katharine on this forum, who's in Ayrshire. she might know someone in your area.

Trinkwasser

I'm Type 2 and find Alpha Lipoic Acid helps mainly with my insulin resistance.

Over time I've met a few insulin users who have found they need to reduce their dose when using it, but others who've found no effect from it.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Same here, I'm type 1 and thought it was worth seeing whether I could use less insulin by taking ALA and evening primrose. I gave it a go for 3 months but it had no effect whatsover.

fergus

Pink

Thanks for your responses guys I think I'll prob wait on taking supplements as I need to do some more research first. Pinkx

Trinkwasser

fergus said:
Same here, I'm type 1 and thought it was worth seeing whether I could use less insulin by taking ALA and evening primrose. I gave it a go for 3 months but it had no effect whatsover.

fergus

Very likely means you have no insulin resistance, you skinny b*stard <G>

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Pink,

Dr Bernstein does mention mimetics but these would be no use to a type 1 because they signal the pancreas to produce insulin at the right time - and of course a type 1 cannot produce their own insulin.