Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
His 'one size fits all' approach relates to diet, not medication. At the end of the day, all diabetics need good glucose control, whatever type. So in that sense, yes he has a one size fits all approach.

Rarely does 'one size fits all' work.
I'm happy with my glucose control, but I don't seem to fit into his 'one size' approach.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
His 'one size fits all' approach relates to diet, not medication. At the end of the day, all diabetics need good glucose control, whatever type. So in that sense, yes he has a one size fits all approach.
Low carb

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Rarely does 'one size fits all' work.
I'm happy with my glucose control, but I don't seem to fit into his 'one size' approach.
Maybe you could benefit from reading Dr Bernstein's book.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been treated with tablets only which is the only variation to type1 treatment. However if any type1 was given my huge amounts of insulin, they would be dead.
Like any treatment it has to suit the individual patient.

I expect he works on:

Measure BG (and lots of other BM test)
Make small change to insulin usage and other meds if needed
Repeat
Along with getting the customer to control what they eat etc.

Therefore he may not have to change how he works just because someone arrives with a different label.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I expect he works on:

Repeat

Therefore he may not have to change how he works just because someone arrives with a different label.
He originally trained as an engineer. His wife is a doctor, so he used her to obtain one of the first meters. His backround meant that he knew how to study his BG response to different foods and worked out a way to dose himself which basically tries to copy the way the body does it naturally - when it works. For T1 and T2 he recommends LC. It's not LCHF but rather he recommends reducing carbs and filling up on protein if you're hungry. The aim should be to do EVERYTHING possible, through diet and medication to achieve non-diabetic BG levels. For T2 he basically recommends reducing carbs and using metformin if you cannot reduce BG levels by diet alone.
For T1s, he suggests low carb and smaller doses of insulin; and, therefore, less chance of making a mistake. Insulin also causes people to gain weight, increases insulin resistance, which then requires more insulin.
Others will add or correct anything I missed out.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
His book informed me of R-ala supplement and its benefits. I tried it and found it a huge help with tingling toes and large doses of insulin.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I expect he works on:

Repeat

He originally trained as an engineer. His wife is a doctor, so he used her to obtain one of the first meters. His backround meant that he knew how to study his BG response to different foods and worked out a way to dose himself which basically tries to copy the way the body does it naturally - when it works. For T1 and T2 he recommends LC. It's not LCHF but rather he recommends reducing carbs and filling up on protein if you're hungry. The aim should be to do EVERYTHING possible, through diet and medication to achieve non-diabetic BG levels. For T2 he basically recommends reducing carbs and using metformin if you cannot reduce BG levels by diet alone.
For T1s, he suggests low carb and smaller doses of insulin; and, therefore, less chance of making a mistake. Insulin also causes people to gain weight, increases insulin resistance, which then requires more insulin. He also calculates an adjustment for the effects of protein. He has had normal blood sugars for over 40 years, because he is able to maintain more or less precise control.
I expect he works on:

Repeat

For T1s, he suggests low carb and smaller doses of insulin; and, therefore, less chance of making a mistake. Insulin also causes people to gain weight, increases insulin resistance, which then requires more insulin. He also calculates an adjustment for the effects of protein. He has had normal blood sugars for over 40 years, because he is able to maintain more or less precise control.

Reactions: Fido78