Dr Bernsteins Low Carb diet and UK Insulins

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you explain or direct me to an explanation of why that would be?
Sorry. As I chose not to restrict my diet for other reasons, I have not investigated the biology.
I am reporting what I have heard/read from people I know with Type 1 who have tried low carb and decided against it because they saw a significant increase in their insulin to carb ratio required for their bolus insulin aswell as a need for more basal insulin (which aims to keep BG stable in the absence of food, exercise, stress, etc.).

Edited to add : Insulin sensitivity (need for less insulin) returned after eating more carbs.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Speedbird

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry. As I chose not to restrict my diet for other reasons, I have not investigated the biology.
I am reporting what I have heard/read from people I know with Type 1 who have tried low carb and decided against it because they saw a significant increase in their insulin to carb ratio required for their bolus insulin aswell as a need for more basal insulin (which aims to keep BG stable in the absence of food, exercise, stress, etc.).

Edited to add : Insulin sensitivity (need for less insulin) returned after eating more carbs.
Ok. Thanks for explaining your comment. Odd that I’ve heard the opposite including from this site then. As I said theoretical interest on my part as a type 2, who doesn’t have exogenous insulin to consider in my choices.