Dr David Unwin's plan- questions to those following

lou49

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. After several tries at low-carb over the years I'm now doing Dr Unwin's plan. This man is wonderful and I wish he was my GP! The plan is more 'doable' as there doesn't seem to be an emphasis on eating loads of added fat, which I have a problem with mentally and physically. Also I see he allows moderate fruit - berries and even apples and pears - which makes a difference for me.

I'm not diabetic or prediabetic (which is a miracle frankly) and previous HbA1c blood tests have always been normal. Next week I'll be having a well-woman check at my surgery and I'll be asking for an HbA1c blood test again.

I've been listening to lots of his podcasts and read lots of stuff about him (Diet Doctor website etc). There doesn't seem to be a particular Facebook Group for his plan although I know there are loads of others, and I see he's on Twitter. So does anyone know of any support groups for his type of plan?

And what does his plan resemble - is it paleo?

I'm particularly interested about what he says about carb addiction, as this has always been a problem for me. Particularly biscuits which he said was his problem too!

Thanks for reading and would appreciate your comments!

Louise

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a fan of his work and resultant conclusions etc. My GP is too. In fact sitting with my GP is almost like sitting with a David Unwin clone.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have a lot of time for people like you, those who are prepared to make small changes in order to avoid Pre Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes so Well Done. Dr. Unwin is a member of this forum as it happens so be prepared for loads of advice coming your way from members who advocate a lower carb way of eating.

lou49

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. xfieldok I did that, but just get all the usual links which I knew about!

lou49

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Latest HbA1c (as I didn't realise that it was being tested when I did the blood tests on Monday) - was 41 so if I don't pull it back I could be over on the pre-diabetes forum next. I was quite surprised as last May it was 38.8. Can't say that I don't deserve it though. I just heard a wake-up call.

What's the difference between Dr Unwin's plan and the Low-Carb one on this site? Is one better than the other or just different?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Latest HbA1c (as I didn't realise that it was being tested when I did the blood tests on Monday) - was 41 so if I don't pull it back I could be over on the pre-diabetes forum next. I was quite surprised as last May it was 38.8. Can't say that I don't deserve it though. I just heard a wake-up call.

What's the difference between Dr Unwin's plan and the Low-Carb one on this site? Is one better than the other or just different?
You are in the region that I have been in. I got mine down from 41 to 36 purely from abandoning added sugar and sugary products but also by reducing carbs to a lower level and increasing fat to a higher level. The term “low carbing” is a bit ambiguous as it doesn’t tell a complete story.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The difference is very little indeed, if any, as Dr Unwin has worked closely with this site for a number of years, and resources have been deleoped collarboratively.