Dr refused to prescribe Byetta until I have had a FBG test

RichardHill

Hi

I've been on Byetta for four years now with good results. Last weekend, I went online to my surgery to order another month's worth of Byetta (Exenatide) but the doctor has now twice cancelled my prescription until after I have a FBG blood test (which is scheduled for 1 August).

Has anyone else experienced this situation or can suggest what I can do? Also, what would be the effects of not using Byetta for five weeks or so - apart from raised HBa1C?

Thanks

Richard

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Richard
welcome to the forum

The first thought that strikes me is that the doctor is just following the usual tick box exercise -- patient comes in for yearly prescription review and he won't approve until patient is seen -- that type of thing.
so if this is the case I think I would be asking to get the FBG brought forward and pay a visit to GP to discuss in person.

Clearly this is a medication you need for continued good control , and I would ask him for an explanation of how he expects it to affect your health if you do not have access for 5 weeks.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in total agreement with @himtoo

You've been prescribed the medication presumably because you met the criteria for needing it.
Preventing you from filling in your prescription for weeks means you won't be getting the treatment you have been assessed as needing.

I would be ringing the surgery and saying 'I realise you need a med review/fasting test before I get my repeat prescription, but I need the meds asap. Can we please bring the appt forward, or can you issue me with a short term interim prescription for the next 5 weeks.'

RichardHill

Hi Richard
welcome to the forum

The first thought that strikes me is that the doctor is just following the usual tick box exercise -- patient comes in for yearly prescription review and he won't approve until patient is seen -- that type of thing.
so if this is the case I think I would be asking to get the FBG brought forward and pay a visit to GP to discuss in person.

Clearly this is a medication you need for continued good control , and I would ask him for an explanation of how he expects it to affect your health if you do not have access for 5 weeks.

Indeed. My metformin and gliclazide only last for another week. I've demanded an appt with the doctor tomorrow to understand his reasons. I am away next week so the earliest I could have a blood test is 11th July, assuming there is an appt. Whether I get an appt remains to be seen!

Reactions: 2 people

RichardHill

I'm in total agreement with @himtoo

You've been prescribed the medication presumably because you met the criteria for needing it.
Preventing you from filling in your prescription for weeks means you won't be getting the treatment you have been assessed as needing.

I would be ringing the surgery and saying 'I realise you need a med review/fasting test before I get my repeat prescription, but I need the meds asap. Can we please bring the appt forward, or can you issue me with a short term interim prescription for the next 5 weeks.'

Done that and am waiting for an appt - or at least an acknowledgement. I'm away next week and I am concerned as to the effect on my health if I suddenly stop taking Exenetide (Byetta).

Reactions: 4 people

RichardHill

Done that and am waiting for an appt - or at least an acknowledgement. I'm away next week and I am concerned as to the effect on my health if I suddenly stop taking Exenetide (Byetta).

I had a phone call from the surgery today saying that the doctor had issued a prescription for ALL my items (not just the ones that I need!) so I'm collecting the items this afternoon. I really don't like to nag or insist (especially with doctors) but it did seem to work.

I have moved my FBG test moved to 18 July so they can see the results before my Byetta runs out again.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant news! Well done for making sure you were heard. :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
YAY !!! well done Richard !!