Dr visit

Pri12

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Today I went to the doctors for a follow up for my prediabetes diagnosis on July 8th of this year. The doctor much to my dismay was very dismayed at my worry over the possibility of it developing into diabetes. My level was 6.1 and he said it could take years for me to reach a 6.5 to basically stop worrying. I do t believe this and this visit has me feeling down. He argued with me over my choice to do low carb and thought it to be extreme saying I needed carbs from both fruits and vegetables. I told him I did eat broccoli and spinach but avoided the others because of the carbs. I have lost 7 pounds since July 8th but feels it isn't high enough so I been feeling down. I been eating very low carb under 20 some days less than 10 and I thought I lost more weight. He refused me a gluclose monitor as well saying it's only for people with diabetes. It makes me sad that he seem not willing to help me with preventive measures.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The doctor much to my dismay was very dismayed at my worry over the possibility of it developing into diabetes. My level was 6.1 and he said it could take years for me to reach a 6.5 to basically stop worrying.

As I see it the problem with primary care (treating it before you've got it) is that it will cause the patient to worry. It takes away your peace of mind. Of course the patient will worry since it is their health at stake and despite all rumours to the contrary patients do try to do what the doctor says.

Next the doctor goes on about quality of life versus quantity of life and then tells you not to worry. Fat chance.

It appears your doctor has been a little clumsy in an attempt to give you a heads up, and that's all it is really. Take the advice in the spirit it was offered. Eat properly and exercise a bit. I am sure that is exactly the same advice he would give to someone who was not prediabetic.

In the meantime enjoy it while you've got it. Diabetes may never happen.

Reactions: Pri12 and Prem51

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I went to the doctors for a follow up for my prediabetes diagnosis on July 8th of this year. The doctor much to my dismay was very dismayed at my worry over the possibility of it developing into diabetes. My level was 6.1 and he said it could take years for me to reach a 6.5 to basically stop worrying. I do t believe this and this visit has me feeling down. He argued with me over my choice to do low carb and thought it to be extreme saying I needed carbs from both fruits and vegetables. I told him I did eat broccoli and spinach but avoided the others because of the carbs. I have lost 7 pounds since July 8th but feels it isn't high enough so I been feeling down. I been eating very low carb under 20 some days less than 10 and I thought I lost more weight. He refused me a gluclose monitor as well saying it's only for people with diabetes. It makes me sad that he seem not willing to help me with preventive measures.
I know that the diagnosis will have you worried but please try not to be as you are making all the changes you need to to prevent further deterioration. I believe there are pros and cons to very or zero carb diets and in the end that will be your choice to make. The diagnosis has given you an opportunity now, but don't let it rule you! You can get a meter if you really want to I think some are quite reasonable but I don't think you want to test an awful lot because (please don't think I am trying to fob you off) it can cause some extra anxiety - and I do speak from experience here. It can be obsessive and worrying to some - not saying that's everyone.

Reactions: Pri12 and Prem51

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just avoiding all food and with drink with add sugar and cut back on the carbs at breakfast then you should be OK. Most people can avoid diabetes by controlling their carbs, say to under 100g day without having to get anywhere towards low carbs, e.g under 40g per day.