Dramatic fall in HbA1c

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was first diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in March this year, my HbA1c figure was 108.

Another blood test has just come up with a figure of 36 :wideyed:

Is such a dramatic fall in a short period of time credible?

Very similar to my own experience. Diagnosed at 107 mmol/mol, after two months (so not quite rid of the pre-diagnosis effects) was 54 and have hovered around 35 ever since. My BMI is also 26 which is technically overweight, but my waist measurement is in the acceptable range. The only difference is I am only on 1g of Metformin.

Reactions: Peter5145

Peter5145

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another implication is, do you need / stick with Metformin - you might want to perform some searches on the forum to gauge opinion. I believe a major implication is can you turn your regime into a permanent lifestyle, judging by your commitment to your non-diabetic numbers, I can't see where you are going to have an issue.
I'll let myself be guided by the diabetic nurse on that, as so far I've had good results by following her advice, and she seems quite knowledgeable and non-judgmental, which is important. I'll be having another review in three months' time and hopefully then will be able to reduce the dose. I've never really had the unpleasant side-effects of Metformin that many others have reported.