Dream Fields Pasta - Is It Too Good To Be True?

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
Has anyone tried low carb Dreamfields pasta and how have they found their BS levels after eating it? Is there any such thing as a 'low carb' pasta?

Reactions: 2 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep - don't waste your money- haven't yet heard any one who tried it say it didn't affect their numbers - me included

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes it's too good to be true. Google it, huge scandal over false advertising.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Well there you are. False advertising. If that is true then the best that should happen to the advertiser is a spell on bread and water. For life.:mask:

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do most of you eat wholemeal pasta or have you cut it out completely from your diets?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have cut it out completely and it's the only thing I miss massively- I have Italian family and friends and have to have a will of iron not to eat it when they dish it up - there is nothing for me that can replace pasta - I use veg noodles and I really like them but they're not pasta I looooooved pasta!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No pasta for me. For stir fry's I use wilted mung bean sprouts or shredded cabbage and broccoli. Some use a spiralizer and make courgette noodles, you can also buy no carb shirataki noodles and rice. There are recipes for low or no carb pasta online.

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I make low carb ricotta gnocchi for my pasta craving. I use coconut flour to bind them. I then steam them rather than boil them. I put leftover uncooked gnocchi in the freezer for the next time.
Sauce is always a mince and lots of grated veg bolognaise.
There are lots of low carb ricotta gnocchi recipes around on google.
Its not hard to make either

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have cut it out completely and it's the only thing I miss massively- I have Italian family and friends and have to have a will of iron not to eat it when they dish it up - there is nothing for me that can replace pasta - I use veg noodles and I really like them but they're not pasta I looooooved pasta!

Same here, I am from Italian background and cannot believe I have to now possibly give it up :-( it does make me wonder how Italians in Italy cope with diabetes and eating pasta? when I visit my aunt in Italy I cannot resist eating some of her homemade pasta, I'm a bit in denial and chose not to test but I think I may have to say goodbye to it. Is wholemeal pasta/spaghetti any better for BS levels?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here, I am from Italian background and cannot believe I have to now possibly give it up :-( it does make me wonder how Italians in Italy cope with diabetes and eating pasta? when I visit my aunt in Italy I cannot resist eating some of her homemade pasta, I'm a bit in denial and chose not to test but I think I may have to say goodbye to it. Is wholemeal pasta/spaghetti any better for BS levels?
Most here have reported that wholemeal or regular it has a very similar effect.. I'm afraid it may well be a no-no but as always try it and test your blood sugar to see the effects.

Braye

I can eat a cup of whole wheat thin spaghetti but I am wondering it there is a recipe for spaghetti made with almond flour or bamboo fiber that would be less carbs.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I occasionally use Slim Pasta to add to rich, textured sauces such as Bolognese or venison ragu. The taste is nothing like pasta, but the (rubbery) texture gives the dish a bit more interest. Otherwise, for Carbonara and delicate type of sauces I use courgetti (and not the spiralized version - I use a julienne peeler and discard the seed core).

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try this it works for me:
Low Carb Soy Flour Pasta/Noodles (serves 3-4)

150 gr soy flour
50 gr gluten
2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 tsp oil
3 Tbsp warm water

Mix the soy flour, gluten and salt well in a mixing bowl. Add the other ingredients, mix well with your hands, the traditional way, or with a spoon till the dough has come together.

Turn out onto your work table and knead till smooth. Doesn’t take long.

Wrap in cling wrap and leave to rest for about 30 min or as long as you can.

Unwrap your dough. Cut into 8 equal pieces and process it through your pasta machine as you would for regular pasta to your desired thickness and then cut into the form you like.

Just so that you have an idea, here are the thicknesses I use. My Atlas pasta machine has 9 thickness settings with 1 being the thickest and 9 being the thinnest. For spaghetti and chines noodles, I roll to 5 and then use the spaghetti attachment to cut. For tagliatelle, I roll to 8 and then cut (seemed to have the best result). For lasagne and cannelloni, I roll to 6.

To cook your pasta (I also pre-cooked my pasta before making lasagne and cannelloni), bring a huge pot of water to boil with some salt.

When the water is boiling, put in your noodles and cook for 2 minutes. Watch your pot! The water sometimes foams up and overflows.

Drain and use. If there is leftover pasta for whatever reason, the noodles end up in a soup the next day.

Nutritional Information per serving if 4 servings

Total Cal – 249.6 kcal; Fat – 12.2 gr; Carbs – 3.1 gr, Protein – 31.9 gr

Comments

Ratio of 1:3 50 gluten 150 flour more water is needed so added until dough is workable but not sticky. Kneaded then wrapped in cling film for a couple of hours. Not sticky and is workable. Passed through pasta m/c to level 5 then made tagliatelle. Strips still joined but easy to separate. Used more soy flour for dusting and it worked well. The key is to knead well and use plenty of flour for dusting when rolling and cutting. I haven't tried yet but I think some of the more interesting shapes could be made with practice.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have used Black Bean spaghetti and also Soy apaghetti. Both are low carb. My PRE /2HrPP/ 4HrPP readings were 5.4 / 5.9 / 5.6 mmol/l after a large platefull. The pasta is not rubbery like the gluten pasta, but does the job.