Type 2 Drinking Alcohol

dazzeur

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since being diagnosed few months ago, I haven't really drunk, or more so, I definitely haven't drunk a lot. I am going to a wedding this weekend and want to get into the spirit and I am sure there will be a lot of alcohol consumption. I dont drink beer and will try to stay away from the cocktails so will mostly be drinking wine and whiskey (love whiskey). As I am just taking metformin slow release, 2 in the morning and 1 in the evening, are there any good do's and don;t when drinking? I will be drinking, so rather hear advice on best things to do rather than hear, dont drink at all, or dont drink too much. I generally dont drink so this is will be a one day binge.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Wine and whiskey are definitely better choices than beer and cocktails so you are on the right track. Your kidneys will thank you for a load of water before you go to sleep.

dc1408

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Only thing I can think of to consider is that metformin and alcohol together add to metabolic acidosis so to avoid feeling rough drink plenty of water.... oh, also your sugars will likely be lower, more normal (you won't hypo on metformin) due to the alcohol keeping the liver busy so putting a temporary halt to gluconeogenesis.

Reactions: 4 people

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Actually the package insert says excessive alcohol consumption can cause hypoglycemia. I would make sure to eat enough and try to keep it within reason and have a great time. Not taking the metformin that day will make no difference, it does not clear your system for weeks.

Reactions: 2 people