Drinking

3lli077

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Evening All

Looking for advice.

On a Friday night after a log slog at school I would go out and drink vodka and coke. Prob hence why I have become prediabetic.

I was wondering what do people drink in replace of it? What options are there? I've read that even having the diet versions can still be bad for you. I began having blackcurrant and soda but my nurses said not to have that either. So it left me with a dilemma; not to drink or what alternative?

Unfortunately I don't like tonic. So are there any other options I can't think of.

Cheers in advance

Reactions: SWUSA_ and Freema

stellson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Having had diabetes all of my teenage years and enjoying a party or two lol I feel I can give you advice on this. Firstly drinking full fat coke or any fizzy juice whether it be on its on or as a mixer WILL raise your glucose level so should be avoided unless required for a hypo. I drink vodka too but always use diet juice which has no effect on my blood glucose but if you still don't like the idea of that the an alternative would be soda and lime or blackcurrant. However be sure to watch your levels as drinking alcohol can make you low the next day as your liver is busy processing the alcohol from the night before.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
vodka and diet coke would be the better choice even though diet coke is not really healthy...
you could also learn to drink plain water and a glass of vodka besides....

But as you are prediabetic and if overweight, maybe half a year without drinking and instead intensifying doing sports and loosing weight by low carb diet would be and even better suggestion... so you get so fit you´ll hopefully not get diabetes for if you are lucky decades

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

I can never under stand why people drink spirits of any type with sickly sweet soft drink.

Spirits are meant to be sipped neat for the best enjoyment and taste etc.

Reactions: KezG and SWUSA_

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Evening All

Looking for advice.

On a Friday night after a log slog at school I would go out and drink vodka and coke. Prob hence why I have become prediabetic.

I was wondering what do people drink in replace of it? What options are there? I've read that even having the diet versions can still be bad for you. I began having blackcurrant and soda but my nurses said not to have that either. So it left me with a dilemma; not to drink or what alternative?

Unfortunately I don't like tonic. So are there any other options I can't think of.

Cheers in advance
I have Type 2 and am on metformin and toujeo now but was prediabetic for over 40 years.
I like cranberry juice but you must count the carbohydrates in it if you are keeping track. I look at it as a special occasion drink. I add half water when I can not afford all the calories. Bottled water with a splash of lemon juice is an any time choice for me. Iced tea without sugar if it is available to you. All the restaurants here serve it. Nonalcoholic beers like o'Douls but again there are a lot carbohydrates in that too so you will need to eat less carbs from other sources if you are having it. Ginger ale also if you like it, it comes in diet. Hope that helps.

Favabean

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Try wine! Fewer carbs. Or a whisky neat or on the rocks. Tonic is full of sugar, so I'd stay away from that (or at least in Canada, tonic is full of sugar). Or if you want bubbles, alternate sipping alcohol with a glass of "soda bitters" - just unsweetened bubbly water with your choice of bitters. low carb, tasty, and keeps you hydrated!

edit to add: also, eat a good dinner before you go out, have better-for-you snacks available, and don't overdo the booze! i end up eating unhealthy snacks if I have too much to drink, cuz i make worse choices, and am hungry due to lower blood sugars from the booze.

Reactions: KezG

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Could you try some sort of Tom Collins or highball?

I don't drink anymore, but I used to like gin, ice and a little dash of lime juice with fizzy water or club soda. You could do that with vodka or white rum as well, and it shouldn't be too bad.

Reactions: KezG

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh, of course, that's assuming your 'long slog at school' is because you are a teacher: if you are a pupil, put down the booze now and do your homework!

Reactions: Chrisle68 and KezG

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never drink strong stuff. but when I sometimes did I used to mix it with diet coke or flavoured water.