Drinks ideas

WaG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I strongly susupect that I am going to have to give up alcohol completely as it seems to raise my BG, due to that I am looking for ideas for refreshing low/no sugar drinks that I can enjoy.

Currently I am drinking soda and lime (fresh) but will tire of that eventually any ideas?

Thanks awfully

WaG

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
A lot of members on here drink red wine because they say it helps lower BG.Have you tried that. Also Vodka .

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Fear not, WaG! Alcohol itself won't raise your blood sugar, it's the other stuff in some alcoholic drinks that will cause your bs to rise.
Beers for example usually contain a lot of maltose which can raise bs significantly. Non-diet mixers will raise bs of course and ought to be avoided, but a gin and diet tonic for example should have little or no effect on your bs. Wines will vary, dry reds and whites may produce a slight rise, but over a few hours the net effect will actually be to lower bs readings, as with spirits/diet mixer combos. This is because the alcohol will prevent the liver from producing glucose while it is dealing with the alcohol.
Some people, not naming any names but I'm one of them, use this effect to counter the dawn phenomenon. A couple of glasses of wine in the evening will help me to get a stable bs the following morning.

Bottoms up!

fergus

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't like alcohol and drink fruit tea or a little squeezy lemon in water.

Thirsty

I make my own ginger cordial which has a delicious kick. Google for recipes and substitute your favourite sweetener for the sugar that most require. I add cloves, cinnamon stick, zest and juice of lemon/lime and a couple of peppercorns for extra bite, but that's just me.

Lovely hot or cold.

sugarboy

Here's a drink list for you all availiable at your local tesco...PEPSI MAX...Diet IRN BRU...D & G Old Jamaican ginger Beer Light (brown bottle silver label, tastes fantastic.) Carbonated water also seems to brighten things up admirably.