Drinks out with a curry

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’m currently eating between 75 and 100g of carbs a day, on Saturday I’m going out with the guys from work for a meal, originally it was a curry and then drinks, now it seems to have changed to drinks then possibly a curry if they get round to it . I’m not a drinker anyway, but what can I drink in the pub which isn’t going to shoot carbs and calories through the roof? I have completely cut out fizzy drinks for the last 6 weeks so would like to avoid returning to them, any ideas?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Numan, I guess you are down to soda water or tonic water as safest bets, although they are fizzy.
I leave a straw in mine for a while to encourage the bubbles to release.
The only other way I know of to release the bubbles is to put the drink in the microwave for a short burst.
Whether bar staff would indulge you is anyone's guess but it cannot hurt to try!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’m currently eating between 75 and 100g of carbs a day, on Saturday I’m going out with the guys from work for a meal, originally it was a curry and then drinks, now it seems to have changed to drinks then possibly a curry if they get round to it . I’m not a drinker anyway, but what can I drink in the pub which isn’t going to shoot carbs and calories through the roof? I have completely cut out fizzy drinks for the last 6 weeks so would like to avoid returning to them, any ideas?

Did you give up the fizzy drinks because you're trying to avoid artificial sweeteners, or because the fizz doesn't sit well in your tum?

I agree with cold soda water, with ice and a slice of lime or lemon. Red wine adds calories, but doesn't add too many carbs. Spirits (particularly white ones like gin, vodka or rum) similarly so, woth soda or a sugar-free mixer.

If you haven't had a tipple for a while, I'd suggest a bitof caution, as our tolerances can go down a bit and the effects be apparent more rapidly. If yoy fancy a drink, the for each alcoholic drink you have intersperse it with one or two non-alcoholic options.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Chook and kitedoc

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cut the fizzy drinks out completely due to the artificial sweeteners, I never drank full fat coke, and being almost teetotal my usual drink at a pub was Diet Coke. In the last few weeks I have had coffee whilst eating out.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No added sugar tonic water with ice and a slice people will think you are drinking gin or vodka. If you do have a curry then I am informed by my daughter who goes out with friends most weeks for a curry that having a dry one cuts the carbs. She always has a mixed grill which is a variety of grilled curried meats but no sauce and she has it with salad not rice....she is not diabetic just watches her weight

Reactions: Numan

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to go for a gin with lots of slimline tonic, ice and a slice, but alternate with water (we alwasy get a jug on the table), I don't eat naan, rice or poppadums, just extra salad with mine.

Reactions: Numan