1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Driving and hypo;s need advice please

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by arniemouse, Feb 6, 2016.

1. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have just filled in the questionnaire and it asks if you have black outs which you do. It also asks if you are hypo aware which you are not.
    As to only driving a short distance that's a very silly and selfish reply IMHO. A near neighbour drove 5000 meters to the village shop the other day, he isn't fit to be on the road and has been told so. Unfortunately a car driver and motorcyclist were also on the road at the same time both had to take evasive action because J lost control of his mobility car whilst coming out of the junction near the shop. What's even worse is he had no idea what he had done and still denying the incident. The whole community is more than hopeful that the police will take him off the road as will his GP.

• Like Like x 2
  2. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I suspect OP's problem is she is not on enough steroid, hence why she can not help herself with the hypos.

3. arniemouse

arniemouse Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi thought you might like an update my licence has been revoked from tomorrow on the grounds of '2 hypo's requiring assistance in a year rule'. Still trying to get head around how I am going to manage to get out of the house but at least I have done the right thing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Other · Well-Known Member

Thank you for bringing us up to date. As a driver myself I appreciate that this is not easy for you, and I hope you will find support to get the things you need to put in place. Can you get groceries delivered? My wife and I have non-matching mobility scooters that we use in our town for shopping to save on parking and taxi's. But we are on the outskirts of town, so it is easy for us. You did say your car journeys were within a few miles, and our buggies do 20 miles on a single charge. Just an idea.

I hope you find what is needed to stop the hypo's. Then you should be able to re-apply for a short term licence. I wish you all the best.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook