Driving and Testing

WilBo8491

I recently received a letter from my GP Practice . In it was a leaflet explaining the new driving rules , that I could not drive if my blood glucose level was below 4.0 , and that I had to wait 45 minutes after getting it back up again before I drove . It also contained a personal letter informing me that my test strips were to be rationed to the equivalent of two per day , a limit confirmed by my subsequent failed attempts to obtain further repeat prescriptions for more . I only inject insulin twice a day , so the likelihood of variations in my blood glucose levels can be significant , especially on long journeys were meal breaks can be haphazard . What are the consequences of this , as I am also disabled and use a motability car - will my son have to drive me in future ? I am sure lots of people must be having similar problems , and wondered if anyone else had any suggestions on how I could cope in this situation . Thanking everyone muchly . :crazy:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there!

That's disgraceful! If you are on twice-daily insulin, you need to test at least 4 times a day, plus when driving and extra if hypo. You will also waste some strips e.g. Not enough blood applied and you will occasionally need to use a strip to test the meter with control solution. I would make these points in writing to the practice manager, the PCT and PALS ( patient advisory service). If you are under a consultant at the hospital, ask him/her to write to your GP telling them they must prescribe more strips.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Smidge

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Thats is just terrible. I would write a letter as the last poster suggests or even pick up the phone/visit ŷour GP to see what he/she has to say face to face - this sometimes works better. If you get nowhere my next letter would be going straight to the local paper and your local MP. They can't be allowed to get away with rationing essential medical items like strips - it's just unacceptable when yours and other people's lives will be at risk (I'm referring to getting in a car without strips to test). Hope you get somewhere soon.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
WilBo8491 said:
I recently received a letter from my GP Practice . In it was a leaflet explaining the new driving rules , that I could not drive if my blood glucose level was below 4.0 , and that I had to wait 45 minutes after getting it back up again before I drove . It also contained a personal letter informing me that my test strips were to be rationed to the equivalent of two per day , a limit confirmed by my subsequent failed attempts to obtain further repeat prescriptions for more . I only inject insulin twice a day , so the likelihood of variations in my blood glucose levels can be significant , especially on long journeys were meal breaks can be haphazard . What are the consequences of this , as I am also disabled and use a motability car - will my son have to drive me in future ? I am sure lots of people must be having similar problems , and wondered if anyone else had any suggestions on how I could cope in this situation . Thanking everyone muchly . :crazy:

Hi Your GP practice is well out of order.
1st it's 5 to drive when you start your journey, then every 2 hours behind the wheel of the car.
Are you sure your GP is aware you are on insulin as there should be no restriction at all for people using insulin.
Write him a letter explaining that you are on insulin and you need the test strips to control your diabetes and also for comply with DVLA rules.
Print off a copy of the rules and enclose them also pointing out their own info is incorrect and dangerous.
If no joy in this dept then put in a formal complaint to the PCT about your human rights and being made a prisoner in your own home due to being unable to drive any more.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can't add any more than what Smidge, Riri and Carbsrok have said. My own gp tried to restrict my test strips but soon changed his mind after my Consultant wrote him a letter explaining why I need to test so regularly.

WilBo8491

Well thank you everybody for your advice . I was warey about taking it any further because I didn't know where I stood in relation to any entitlement to strips , what with the cutbacks and all that . I've managed to make an appointment with my GP for 14th November , but need a further repeat by 5th November , and I'll see if I get any joy with either of these . Failing that , I have an appointment with my consultant in December . Thank you for your support and encouragement .

michellem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I'd strongly recommend as stated above that you go to PALS. They are a great service and will talk to your GP surgery for you. You need this sorted ASAP especially as you're driving.
Good luck x

iHs

WilBo8491 said:
Well thank you everybody for your advice . I was warey about taking it any further because I didn't know where I stood in relation to any entitlement to strips , what with the cutbacks and all that . I've managed to make an appointment with my GP for 14th November , but need a further repeat by 5th November , and I'll see if I get any joy with either of these . Failing that , I have an appointment with my consultant in December . Thank you for your support and encouragement .

Hi

I think that you might find that the reason why your entitlement to teststrips has been reduced is because you fall into the Type 2 catagory regarding your diabetes.. However, the fact that you use insulin to control your bg levels along with metformin does mean that you also need to test your bg levels frequently and using twice daily insulins this should be about 4 times per day at least.

You should be able to get your GP to rectify this as soon as but in the meantime if you are running out of strips, get yourself a cheaper bg meter that uses cheap teststrips (eBay ? SD Codefree) and use that to tie you over..........

Elc1112

I have a similar issue. I have been limited to 50 strips a month but, like all diabetics, have to test each and every time I get behind the wheel of a car. I do an average of three journeys a day. I also do about four long (5-6 hour) journeys a month. So I need at least 90 strips a month to be able to drive within the DVLA's new regulations. On top of that I need to do my meal time testing etc.

I completely understand why try say don't drive if your sugars are low but I do think the regulations are a bit over the top. Having been diabetic for over 20 years I have a fair idea whether my sugars are high, low, or somewhere in the middle. There are times where I forget to test before driving. Long journeys it is sometimes difficult to stop and test at two hour intervals. I often drive on my own and there are some service stations where you just wouldn't want to stop as a single female, especially at night!

As for the strips - it's crazy. I have argued so much with my GP but to no avail. I have managed to cheat the system a little bit by having three BMs. I order 50 strips for each and my GP surgery hasn't cottoned on yet.

The other thing that really annoys me is that diabetics seem to be penalised whereas people with other medical conditions have no bother obtaining a license and keeping it until they are 70plus. Take my mum for example. She suffers from TIAs, or mini strokes. She is told not to drive if she feels unwell but that's it. She often gets no warning symptoms so this seems ridiculously dangerous to me. As it is she doesn't drive anymore, but that's her own choice rather than the DVLA's. I get early hypo warning symptoms and have excellent hypo awareness yet can only get a three year license and have to test, test, test just to keep it?! Grr it angers me.

Anyway, rant over :)

Em