Driving licence renewal in the UK

justsunrise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, does anyone know if DVLA talks to GP or Diabetic nurses (regarding blood sugars) before driving licence renewal? Do they check drs records etc.. ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
justsunrise said:
Hi there, does anyone know if DVLA talks to GP or Diabetic nurses (regarding blood sugars) before driving licence renewal? Do they check drs records etc.. ?

They may write to them depending what you have written on the forms, but talking (as in phoning) I'm not to sure of TBH. As for do they check......almost certainly they do if they feel the need.

justsunrise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
noblehead said:
justsunrise said:

They may write to them depending what you have written on the forms, but talking (as in phoning) I'm not to sure of TBH. As for do they check......almost certainly they do if they feel the need.

Well, I'm very worried. Only find out yesterday about them silly rules regarding low sugar. I do order glucogel from dr time to time, so I'm wondering if it goes against me:-( They probably would think that I'm having hypos often enough to stop me driving. Never had hypo while on the wheel..

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Key factor is whether or not you need help to deal with your hypos, not what you use to treat, although Glucogel is an expensive way (for NHS) to treat hypos, as if you're conscious, you could eat sweets / drink sugary drink etc.

Elc1112

I wouldn't have thought that this would count against you. If you have ever had a hypo and needed assistance from somebody else then you may have your license revoked. I honestly don't know whether they actually talk to your doctor, but I would imagine most of the communication would be form-based. Regardless, I wouldn't have thought they'd go down to the detail of what you are prescribed month-to-month. They are more concerned about the severity of your hypos, how you deal with them and your hypo awareness.

Em

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
justsunrise said:
Well, I'm very worried. Only find out yesterday about them silly rules regarding low sugar. I do order glucogel from dr time to time, so I'm wondering if it goes against me:-( They probably would think that I'm having hypos often enough to stop me driving. Never had hypo while on the wheel..

Don't worry, as Copepod and Elc say it's to do with assisted hypo's where you couldn't deal with it yourself, providing you haven't needed to be assisted twice and your hypo awareness is fine then there shouldn't be a problem, just make sure you are truthful as they may follow things up and always reread your application to check you haven't made any mistakes.

Emah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Red tape organisations that procrastinate about everything and hinder others getting on as a consequence. People who enjoy constantly picking at others instead of making the most of their own life or not taking action/responsibility to change matters in the best way possible. Basically those that don't understand projection and so always blame other’s, pick at others and project their own insecurities/ bad experiences onto others – life’s too short and it doesn’t have to be that way.
justsunrise said:
Hi

Be free of worry - like everyone says, it's about hypo awareness and how you deal with it - eg, if you felt slightly low when driving, you'd just pull over safely and sort it out – make sure your doctors know that and that you test before you drive etc. etc..

Three years ago I was in a hypoglycaemic coma that just happened suddenly resulting from a virus (quite shocking -I thought I'd been in a car crash when I first came round in hospital as a hypo coma never entered my head! However I have always been responsible and my doctors know this so having re-applied for my licence since the tightening changes - Even then all was fine.

If you're ever really worried talk with your doctors and ask them their opinion and if it's not what you want to hear, work out what you need to do to convince them otherwise. However from the doctors I know of, they are usually helpful and on our side regarding this providing we are not a danger to ourselves.

Hope that helps and keep focussed on what you want to happen, not what you don't and you’ll be fine.

Good luck and take care Em :)