Driving licence revoked for being hypo unware T1

Metalmama

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening All,

My driving licence which I'd sent for renewal in July along with documents saying I was on a Dexcom G7 for my hypo unawareness, has come back today, revoked.

I had sent a letter outlining I'd been put on this and the baseline had been raised so I could catch my hypo's around the 4 mark.

Spoke to several people at the DVLA over the past few months, including someone who had called from there asking exactly how it helped having the G7.

Anyone had this happen and did you manage to get it back and after how long?

I've not had a disabling episode for years, so am not best pleased.

Been a Type 1 for 50 years, diagnosed aged 2.

Thanks.

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m sorry you’re having this experience @Metalmama, I’m also sorry I can’t offer any advice as I’m T2 and don’t drive, hopefully some of our T1 members will be along soon with some ideas

• Friendly
Reactions: Metalmama

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
How often do you go low ? I have not had a hypo needing somebodies help for about 20 years and don't go to low very often ,but if they are saying it's because you have been type 1 for so long i'me getting a bit nervous as I have to apply for mine next year and will have been type 1 for 49 years .

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening All,

My driving licence which I'd sent for renewal in July along with documents saying I was on a Dexcom G7 for my hypo unawareness, has come back today, revoked.

I had sent a letter outlining I'd been put on this and the baseline had been raised so I could catch my hypo's around the 4 mark.

Spoke to several people at the DVLA over the past few months, including someone who had called from there asking exactly how it helped having the G7.

Thanks.
Sorry to read this @Metalmama ,

From what I understand with the DVLA stipulations. For "fitness to drive," one has to be physically hypo aware.. Not reliant on CGMs for warnings?
This PDF attached highlights it.

Attachments

• inf294-a-guide-to-insulin-treated-diabetes-and-driving.pdf
    211.8 KB · Views: 72

Billy H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know-all medics who think they know better than me
Evening All,

Thanks.
It is a requirement that you recognise the onset of a hypo because it can cause unconsciousness, which isn't good especially when driving.
Although DVLA accept the use of CGM or FGM devices, they still require blood testing if the device indicates below 4 - this is because the devices run a delay of around 15 minutes behind blood testing (you could be in hypo for 15 minutes before the device catches up). Also, the device can be affected by some medications or vitamins and provide false higher readings.
It might be worthwhile having a chat with the diabetes team at the hospital or your GP - there is ways that sensitively to hypo symptoms can sometimes be recovered.

Reactions: Metalmama

Metalmama

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How often do you go low ? I have not had a hypo needing somebodies help for about 20 years and don't go to low very often ,but if they are saying it's because you have been type 1 for so long i'me getting a bit nervous as I have to apply for mine next year and will have been type 1 for 49 years .
Looking at my G7 stats tonight over 90 days:
6% low
3% very low

They've got me on hypo unawareness, but it's been years since I've needed assistance and self treat my own lows.
Am a member of a group for T1 folks who have received their 50 year medal and a number of them are complaining that the DVLA discriminate against diabetes.
I'm speaking to a new diabetes nurse tomorrow, to see what I can do about trying to get it back.
It is like a real kick in the teeth I've managed on my own so long, and they have now done this.

Metalmama

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is a requirement that you recognise the onset of a hypo because it can cause unconsciousness, which isn't good especially when driving.
Although DVLA accept the use of CGM or FGM devices, they still require blood testing if the device indicates below 4 - this is because the devices run a delay of around 15 minutes behind blood testing (you could be in hypo for 15 minutes before the device catches up). Also, the device can be affected by some medications or vitamins and provide false higher readings.
It might be worthwhile having a chat with the diabetes team at the hospital or your GP - there is ways that sensitively to hypo symptoms can sometimes be recovered.
Yes thank you, I'm going to tomorrow. It is unclear as to when I can reapply. I've waited 5 months for a response. A lady on another group I'm on has had the same problem. She's also got her hypo warnings back, but DVLA has still revoked it. Her case has been going on for over a year.

Metalmama

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to read this @Metalmama ,

From what I understand with the DVLA stipulations. For "fitness to drive," one has to be physically hypo aware.. Not reliant on CGMs for warnings?
This PDF attached highlights it.
Thank you, I will see what the DSN I'm speaking to tomorrow, says. As stated, another lady I know has been trying to get hers back for a year, so do not hold out much hope. They took my application passport photo, scanned it and never returned it, despite my application being rejected. Not best pleased about that at all.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgive me for cross posting here. But I’m fairly used to dealing with forms and the use of specific wording. In the link @Jaylee provided above it says, in bold mind you :-

Alarms on RT-CGM devices must not be used as a substitute for symptomatic awareness of hypoglycaemia. You must recognise hypoglycaemia through the symptoms you experience for the purposes of Group 1 driving. Should you become reliant on these alarms to advise you that you are hypoglycaemic you must stop driving and notify
the DVLA.

and your opening post says (bold is mine here)
My driving licence which I'd sent for renewal in July along with documents saying I was on a Dexcom G7 for my hypo unawareness,
which appears to give them all the evidence they need on the face of it.

If you are indeed hypo unaware yourself without a cgm then they appear to have grounds to revoke the licence for your safety and others road users, regardless of the duration of your diagnosis. In which case the focus is on regaining that awareness without relying on the cgm. If the wording of your reply on the forms and circumstances gives a false impression of your actual situation it seems that is the approach to take to get your licence back.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: In Response

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

I think @HSSS has a point. If the wording on your dexcom funding says hypo unaware then that may be the issue. Your second sentence suggests that you do in fact still have hypo awareness, it's more that the dexcom helps you catch them earlier so that you don't risk losing awareness? Maybe that is the angle you should push, the dexcom is helping you maintain hypo awareness....

Speaking as someone who has had issues with hypo awareness in the past, my dexcom definitely helps me cut down on the hypos and hence maintain my awareness.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be fair, @Metalmama seems have been filling out these DIAB1 forms for almost as long as I have..

I'm surprised if the OP had lost HA or had an episode leading to 3rd party HCP assistance.
That it wasn't suggested to hang up the keys by the GP until this hopefully gets resolved?

Other than ticking the correct boxes declaring my fitness to drive. (& giving details of the relivant HCPs as refference.) Also acknowledging my requirement with blood testing.
I don't ad anymore information appertaining to additional CGM use, which could send the wrong message to a backlogged "civil servant."

Have you spoken with your endo or GP for a veiw regarding your fitness to drive, @Metalmama ?

Reactions: EllieM