Driving myself nuts

Dippydolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi in a earlier post I said my feet were getting cramp like pains, and pains in the toes Well last night the soles of my feet tinged in bed for about a hour got up this morning feel fine, I have anxiety and I have convinced myself that I have neuropathy we go away to America in September and I am convinced I will have to cancel because I won't be able to walk etc ... I have bought some lipoic acid should I start taking some ?
Sorry to sound so mad but I am so worried

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be helpful to know how long you have been diagnosed, what your HbA1c is and if you are on medication or diet. Progression from tingling to not being able to walk would take many years, if ever, so I can't see any problem with your trip.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take 300mg Alpha Lipoic Acid a day. Best taken with a meal as it can lower blood sugar. Apart from neuropathy it does also seem to improve brain function and help clear brain fog.

SimonCrox

Totally agree with above - sounds like neuropathy which is generally slow to progress so no problems with holiday.
I would just run it past your GP to check no other cause such as lack of vitamin D, lack of vitamin B12 (I am not diabetic, but I have both these deficiencies), underactive thryoid etc or other causes that he/she might ask about.
I have obvious neuropathy for more than a year and have no mobility problems whatsoever.
I guess that you are well prepared for holiday in USA; I'd take twice as much medication as needed spread over two persons' hand luggage in case one set gets stolen; even generic metformin costs a fortune in USA.
best wishes

Dippydolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been type 2 for coming up 3 years my last test my levels were 72 I am on 1500 metformin and saxagliptin plus 20 mg statin I am trying the low carb diet and walking 30mins per day , like I say as I sit here no tingling or toe pain just a low pain now and again in my heel

Reactions: DavidK59

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi in a earlier post I said my feet were getting cramp like pains, and pains in the toes Well last night the soles of my feet tinged in bed for about a hour got up this morning feel fine, I have anxiety and I have convinced myself that I have neuropathy we go away to America in September and I am convinced I will have to cancel because I won't be able to walk etc ... I have bought some lipoic acid should I start taking some ?

have you got your numbes down to normal levels that is the most essential ..?

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been type 2 for coming up 3 years my last test my levels were 72 I am on 1500 metformin and saxagliptin plus 20 mg statin I am trying the low carb diet and walking 30mins per day , like I say as I sit here no tingling or toe pain just a low pain now and again in my heel
A HbA1C of 72 is quite high for someone three years after diagnosis. With these levels you may get further diabetic complications such as neuropathy. Metformin doesn't reduce blood glucose much. The only effective way to get down to normal blood glucose levels is to reduce carbohydrates in your diet. Intermittent fasting also helps. I suggest you get a blood glucose meter and test regularly to see which foods raise your blood sugars. The goal is to be in the range 4-7 before eating and no more than 8.5 two hours after eating.

Reactions: Freema

Dippydolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My readings haven't always been high in October they were 55 and before that they were 44 so just been creeping up

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then it is time to go really low in carbs now buy lots of foods you can eat without worrying like cheese nuts avocadoes and all kinds of meat and fish and pork schratcings eat tomatoes instead of fruit eat a little berries with lots of cream NO sugar or cakes or bread . If you miss bread buy Lidl protein Rolls that contain very little carb

Reactions: Ditzy47

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then it is time to go really low in carbs now buy lots of foods you can eat without worrying like cheese nuts avocadoes and all kinds of meat and fish and pork schratcings eat tomatoes instead of fruit eat a little berries with lots of cream NO sugar or cakes or bread . If you miss bread buy Lidl protein Rolls that contain very little carb

And drink a little Apple cider vinegar before each meal mixed in water

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My readings haven't always been high in October they were 55 and before that they were 44 so just been creeping up

Dippydolly - I think it's far too early for any real concern about your trip later in the year. It would be far better, for now to try to identify what's actually going on, with a view to improving things, where possible.

If your HbA1cs have been creeping up a bit, can you identify anything that has changes over that period which might have impacted you?

This far (I was diagnosed in October 2013, so probably about the same time as you?) I've been very fortunate to manage to keep things pretty stable, but I did have a period of stress, where I was going through a period of medical investigation and surgery when my HbA1c increased from 31 to 33, and when that period passed it pleasingly reverted back to 31. For me, the only thing that had changed was I was low-level stressed for a long time. I wasn't losing sleep over things, because I was having a load of investigations, but just the underlying uncertainty seemed to make a difference.

For some folks, they find that over time their diet changes a bit, with a few more treats, or extra snacks or just eating more, and this can lead to a bit of HbA1c change too.

I'm not suggesting you're doing any of these things, but just encouraging to try to identify anything you might be able to address on a day-to-day basis.

Regarding your query on ALA, there have been a few threads on this in recent times. If you search on ALA or R-ALA you may find a few threads come back.

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi dippy dolly.

It sounds to me your levels are a little high. Everything is relative. So the higher your levels, the more symptoms you get. Could it be your feet are sensitive whilst your levels are spiking, as you are walking for 30mins a day?

I had to change my foot wear whilst my levels were like that. Even though after 3 years of battling to get my levels down to acceptable levels, my feet are super sensitive.

Could also be your choice of foot wear? Try orthopaedic insoles may help as the problem occurs now and again.

If your really worried have your feet tested.

Most importantly don't stress about it, you spike your your levels up.

Your exercising, which is proactive and just take everything in your stride.

Don't panic, it's not a race to the finish line, it's more of a long distance marathon, which you must chisel away at, at your own pace.

And you will get there.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Dippydolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Been for my HbA1c results today 62 hopefully on the right track and slowly coming down doctor said my feet are in good condition but as I have taken walking up it could be that that is making them tingle and hurt

Reactions: Wilki.356

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I started taking 100 mg 3-4 times a day of alpha lipoic 2 weeks ago for neuropathy and it's been nothing short of a miracle and for many other things too. Energy and mental clarity are superb. The little trembling in the morning and blurry eyes are very much reduced. Lost a few pounds but muscles are much stronger especially in my legs, shoulders and arms. I sleep like a baby and wake well rested. I would recommend anyone try it but do your own research
The recommended dose for neuropathy is 600 mg day for 6 weeks . I could never handle that much. My energy would be way too high. My neuropathy got better each day and now is just faint after only two weeks.

Both my husband and I felt a difference in energy and mental clarity after just one dose

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you on a low-carb high-fat diet yet? It can really help you, it has helped me to stop my feet hurting like that. It is worth signing up to the Type 2 Diabetes Rebels Facebook page to see their recommendations about what to eat. They helped me to get my blood sugar HbA1c down from 12% last year to 5.8% now. But you will need to learn what you can eat when you are traveling and they gave loads of advice about that.

Will 46

absolutely NOT !! , please go and see your GP ,in the first instance , especially if your taking any another medication do not self prescribe,prescribed medications mixed with medications NOT prescribed can be like playing Russian roulette