Dry January - unexpected benefit?

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
It's been a while since I visited and posted but wanted to share.
Last few months before Christmas were quite stressful at work, and low carb diet wasn't as good as it should have been. Fasting BG levels were gradually increasing, didn't seem that much I could do, was probably liver dumps, and I was almost resigned to the fact that at this year's annual check up (at the end of this month) I might have to consider starting on Metformin.
Anyway, I accidentally managed to start Dry January, and amazingly managed to keep it up for the whole month. Also mid January, started to log my food a bit better, and as a result probably was reducing my carb intake.
Wasn't that impressed by dry Jan, wasn't noticing the promised benefits of extra energy and weight loss UNTIL about a week ago. Suddenly noticed that my fasting BG levels were reducing and are now back at a level that I am almost happy with. Have also just noticed that weight has started to reduce too.
I am not sure if any of this is related or which might be cause or effect.
Was just wondering if anyone else has seen any impact on fasting levels after doing dry Jan?
Sue

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, alcohol puts weight on me too.
Generally, I'm worse all round if I'm overweight.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like red wine and scotch.
I also like beer.
I drink red wine and scotch.
I don't drink beer.
It messes up my BG levels
and pushes out my guts.
Dry January - no.

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Generally most types of alcohol contain lots of calories, which can lead to weight gain. I also find my resting heart rates goes up noticeably for a few days after drinking. The morning after drinking my BG levels
are usually quite good since my liver is busy. Another day or two later the readings increase significantly.