dry scratchy eyes

dragongirl

After yesterday's marathan I hardly dare ask another question - but re yesterday, I woke up feeling I could cope with some stray scores if it helps me put weight back on - will report back one day.

Last two or three weeks have had scratchy eyes in the night. Have to put water in them and then they're okay till next time. Never had it before (not sticky, so probably not blepheritis, did that 30+ years ago so would recognise it) and it's annoying. Don't rub them as it might hurt the cornea. Searched previous topics without finding the info I need. Looked on internet and now realise there may be a connection with db but presumably had higher bg for longer than I have been diagnosed and this has come on since having bg more normalised - and anyway, husband is having the same problem! He has been tested 'not db' recently, and we don't have either heating or obvious currents of drying air around the house at night, so not sure what to do about it.

I do do a lot of screen work but take breaks every 50 mins for skeletal/move-the-eyes reasons anyway. It hasn't got me during the day yet – until today, one eyes is still a bit sore now at 10am - don't want it to escalate so thought I'd ask. Promise to get my coat soon!
DG

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Maybe best to check with either doctor or Pharmacist DG. May be Conjunctivitis .Are eyes pink?

dragongirl

No, they're looking just normal - but I think I will compile a list of things to ask the GP and make a veeeeery long appointment! Just thought someone might know. I do feel far less wound up today and more laid back about everything. It really helped to talk things over yesterday. So I can face the doctor better. Thanks.
DG

Spiral

I get dry eyes and this gets worse if I get dehydrated. I work in an air conditioned office, it is always much better when I'm at home. I also have Roseaca, which is associated with dry eyes/blepharitis. If there is a lot of dust around it also gets worse and it gets worse if I'm tired.

I use hypromelose eye drops to manage this when it is at its worse - just realised this has got better since the blood glucose levels have reduced, I'm not using the eye drops so much.

Also, wiping your eyes gently with a warm damp cloth may help them.

RichardS

I always get dry itchy eyes at this time of the year - I put it down to car heaters and office lights going on for the first time. Eye drops help - but if you are an intensive screen user I would strongly recommend taking short breaks more regularly than every 50 minutes. I use a little free utility to remind me when to stop - http://www.workrave.org/welcome/
Do go to the GP and get other things ruled out first though
Regards

Richard

dragongirl

Thanks both of you. Very helpful and yes I will visit GP but I like to know possible ways forward. Have looked up the eye drops, thanks. That prog sounded great and I love software gadgets - but it seems it's not available for a Mac (sigh). I'll just set a Victorian pinger instead!

chrissieworne

Hi, I use a pc all day as well and it plays havoc with my eyes. I bought optimist spray from Boots, its pricey but you spray it on your eyelids with eyes closed (obviously) :lol: it does keep eyes refreshed.

I also keep a bottle of prev boiled mineral water in my fridge (in a prev used optrex glass bottle)and each morning i use an eye bath and give them a rinse, if you don't fancy that, soak a cotton wool pad in it and place on close eyes for a few minutes, it keeps them fresh.

I also find the "atificial tears" you can buy from Boots also help, just place a couple of drops in the eye when it strats to feel dry.

Hope thats some help.

Regards, Chrissie.

dragongirl

Thanks! I grinned at the boiled water and clean glass – we have spring water out here in the sticks and I just go into the bathroom in the dark, turn the tap on and throw water in my eyes and return to bed. Probably where I'm going wrong! I'll mend my ways. Actually I did wonder about a weak salt solution just in case there is some kind of infection that isn't showing itself. Can't visit doc till next week as not at home right now.
Sorry all you other people have it too. But thanks for replies.
DG