Dubious But Excited can this be the future ??

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Looks interesting. I hope it doesn't go the same way Exubera, the insulin inhaler back in 2007. It worked well, the people who took part in clinical trials loved it, it acted very quickly, but doctors were concerned about inhaling particulates in general and Pfizer discontinued the product before it got going really.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks interesting. I hope it doesn't go the same way Exubera, the insulin inhaler back in 2007. It worked well, the people who took part in clinical trials loved it, it acted very quickly, but doctors were concerned about inhaling particulates in general and Pfizer discontinued the product before it got going really.

I talked to my endo about inhaled insulin but she wasn't keen due to potential long term affects on the lungs. I already have very good control with injected insulin so the risk wasn't worth it. I think for most T1's it would be a similar situation - small potential gains but at the risk of something going wrong.

For me the main advantage would be the apparent hypo protection that inhaled insulin offers, but I'd like more info on that since I don't quite believe it - I've heard of people getting <3 when taking it.