Due To Start Fiasp Next Week

torzhill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Looking for some help on starting Fiasp! At my last appointment my consultant said she’d try and get me some Fiasp to try for MTD treatment (currently only used in my area for the pump). She sent me the prescription in the post but with no info.

I want to give Fiasp a go next week - what were other’s experiences re dosage compared to nova rapid? I usually inject 1:7g for breakfast and 1:10g for the rest of the day. I’m also on levemir x 2 a day if that helps.

I’ll be at work so want to try and not have any extreme highs or lows!!!

Thanks

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Looking for some help on starting Fiasp! At my last appointment my consultant said she’d try and get me some Fiasp to try for MTD treatment (currently only used in my area for the pump). She sent me the prescription in the post but with no info.

I want to give Fiasp a go next week - what were other’s experiences re dosage compared to nova rapid? I usually inject 1:7g for breakfast and 1:10g for the rest of the day. I’m also on levemir x 2 a day if that helps.

I’ll be at work so want to try and not have any extreme highs or lows!!!

Thanks

Hi, torzhill, I've not tried fiasp myself, but the mod tim2000s has written extensively about it, see link below which has links to other articles about it.

http://www.diabettech.com/faster-in...tails-of-the-ema-submission-fiasp-csii-study/

It seems to be like marmite - some people love it, others hate it.

I've only skim read the articles but it seems that the initial high hopes didn't live up to expectations, and it seems to have started doing weird things after a few months with pumpers, don't know if mdi people have found the same.

Like I say, haven't used it myself, but the general impression I get is that as it's basically the same as novo but with a tweak to make it get into stream quicker, it looks like ratios will stay same-ish, but with less pre-bolus.

I'd been trying to persuade my docs to let me try it, but after reading some of the reviews, I thought, nah, I'll stick with the novo till there's a bit more evidence about it. My docs were saying they were keeping an eye on it but wanted longer term studies before switching anyone to it.

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I switched about a year ago from Novarapid to Fiasp and am very happy with it. I'm on MDI, but am aware some pumpers have had issues.

Key points:
Dosage - maybe a touch higher, but for me just 10% or so eg an extra half unit eg 4.5 rather than 4.
Pre-bolus - a game changer, on Nova at breakfast I had to pre-bolus maybe 45 mins before eating, now that is 15 mins tops. Other meals were 20 mins, now they're down to 5-10 mins.
Corrections - other big advantage is that it corrects highs much faster.

For you i'd keep the dosage the same to begin but definitely cut your pre-bolus time (if you don't already pre-bolus try and get a CGM and decide if you need to). And make sure you have some fast acting glucose to hand.

It's quite a change, do you have to start it on a work day? A quiet day at home and you can have more margin for error. Or if at work, start with an easy lower carb meal.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suppose it's another case of everyone is different. I'm on the pump and changed to Fiasp over a year ago. I just kept everything the same as when on Novorapid but learned very quickly not to bolus before eating, if my BG was less than 6 (my target is 6 - 8). If I bolussed at even 5.9, I would go hypo. Funnily enough bolussing at 6 is ok.

torzhill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, torzhill, I've not tried fiasp myself, but the mod tim2000s has written extensively about it, see link below which has links to other articles about it.

http://www.diabettech.com/faster-in...tails-of-the-ema-submission-fiasp-csii-study/

It seems to be like marmite - some people love it, others hate it.

I've only skim read the articles but it seems that the initial high hopes didn't live up to expectations, and it seems to have started doing weird things after a few months with pumpers, don't know if mdi people have found the same.

Like I say, haven't used it myself, but the general impression I get is that as it's basically the same as novo but with a tweak to make it get into stream quicker, it looks like ratios will stay same-ish, but with less pre-bolus.

I'd been trying to persuade my docs to let me try it, but after reading some of the reviews, I thought, nah, I'll stick with the novo till there's a bit more evidence about it. My docs were saying they were keeping an eye on it but wanted longer term studies before switching anyone to it.

Thanks for the article I’ll definitely give that a good read now!!

torzhill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I switched about a year ago from Novarapid to Fiasp and am very happy with it. I'm on MDI, but am aware some pumpers have had issues.

Key points:
Dosage - maybe a touch higher, but for me just 10% or so eg an extra half unit eg 4.5 rather than 4.
Pre-bolus - a game changer, on Nova at breakfast I had to pre-bolus maybe 45 mins before eating, now that is 15 mins tops. Other meals were 20 mins, now they're down to 5-10 mins.
Corrections - other big advantage is that it corrects highs much faster.

For you i'd keep the dosage the same to begin but definitely cut your pre-bolus time (if you don't already pre-bolus try and get a CGM and decide if you need to). And make sure you have some fast acting glucose to hand.

It's quite a change, do you have to start it on a work day? A quiet day at home and you can have more margin for error. Or if at work, start with an easy lower carb meal.

Amazing that’s for the info that’s really helpful! I eat a relatively low carb diet anyway (usually 30-45g carbs a day) and have to pre-bolus 45 mins before all my meals as I experience such a spike otherwise even when eating little carbs. That’s the reason my doc said I could try Fiasp as I’m hoping it’ll be a bit easier!

I may start this weekend but at work I’m just say at my desk and can check my libre constantly so it’s usually easier to keep a watch rather than running around on the weekend!

I’ll try the same units and ratios for the first day and see how it goes. Thanks again!

torzhill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose it's another case of everyone is different. I'm on the pump and changed to Fiasp over a year ago. I just kept everything the same as when on Novorapid but learned very quickly not to bolus before eating, if my BG was less than 6 (my target is 6 - 8). If I bolussed at even 5.9, I would go hypo. Funnily enough bolussing at 6 is ok.

Ah really good to know I’ll keep an eye out for bolusing when I’m a bit lower, thanks!