Duloxetine

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently started taking Duloxetine 60mg for pain relief for long covid leg pain and foot pain. Does anyone take this medication? It's really helped with my mood being an SNRI antidepressant. Pain relief helped a little. Since I have been taking it my diabetes control has become worse. Just wondered if anyone else has taken this medication and side effects they have experienced. I have spoken to long covid clinic and they haven't really done much to help.

Rhys.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Kvetiny,

One thing I want to note, is that Antidepressants tablets do play a role to some of us in changing diabetes management and blood sugar levels 100%. Not to all of us, in fact, it will be a small percentage but it does!

The difficult thing is depending on which emotion the tablet is trying to target and stabilize, will determine what effect the tablet will have on you and this will vary from person to person. There is no definitive scientific answer on how or why it does lower or higher our blood sugars. My assumption based on your concern, is that until the tablet stablizes and your body and emotions have accepted it's influence, you will continue to see fluctuations with your blood sugars. Duloxetine will suppress your emotions and form a control over them. Because Type 1 diabetes is also governed by emotions ( Hense when furious we will see a rise! ), until the tablet is settled in the system and dictating your emotions, will you probably see settled blood sugars again. This is of course my experience in psychology and understanding living through it. I hope this may be more than help a GP who doesn't lead our lives.

I was on Sertraline for anxiety ( Big Mistake ) and ended up coming off Insulin altogether last year, a week after I started taking it due to Hypos ( Only positive from taking it ) and a combination of a good honeymoon. When I stopped taking the tablet, I went from 4s,5s and 6s to the 20 readings within 2 days. My theory is that Type 1 diabetes is caused by a major Anger / Sadness event months or years prior to diagnosis, this is why we still don't have a REAL confirmed cause because scientists cannot see emotions when stored into the gut. But that's another discussion!

Hope you get your blood sugars settled soon! Just give the tablet some time to settle around the body.

All The Best
Rhys

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Been on duloxetine for three years to stop stabbing diabetic neuropathy pains. It works fine and my control was good until recently but not the fault of duloxetine. However the supply of duloxetine to chemists can be erratic. 2 years ago my chemist couldn’t get any at all resulting in me not taking any for ten days. Resulting in me being very low, would burst into tears as soon as anyone spoke to me, couldn’t function at all, apparently withdrawal symptoms are dire. Now I try to keep at least a weeks supply on hand. Apart from that it works it’s rare for me to have the stabbing pains now. Hope you get on ok.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guess it's too early to tell whether it's actually helping with pain. Been on plenty of antidepressants over the years and they all have nasty side effects. Least u get used to them eventually. Doctors don't want to give me painkillers from some reason. Either anti convulsants or anti depressants is all that's been offered.