Dumb insulin habit

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It must be just me? But I've got into this habit sometimes of working out my quick acting insulin for a meal+any corrections if needed and adding 1 for good luck - 1 unit. I don't know why I do it. Sometimes I do it without thinking.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Strange :? Does the good luck extra unit not make you hypo?

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmmm.....sometimes. Im not the best at carb counting, trying to get better at it. So maybe I under estimate my food a lot?

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Consultant wants me to tighten up my control, thus getting a better hba1c which is currently 79. I need to stop silly habits and less guessing. Guess I am a but lazy about it

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
catsbd said:
Consultant wants me to tighten up my control, thus getting a better hba1c which is currently 79. I need to stop silly habits and less guessing. Guess I am a but lazy about it

It would be a good idea. The book Think Like a Pancreas is an excellent read with loads of tips and advice on managing type 1 diabetes, if you've not read it already I suggest you take a look Catsbd.

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just read the reviews on kindle, sounds great and I've just bought it on my kindle for £7.19. Looking forward to reading through it. X

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
Purchased that book a couple of days ago, well worth the money. I also do the extra unit for luck. Don't know why, but I'll inject my insulin and while the needle is still in me I do 2 more clicks and inject that as well.

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
Same i think we all do it out of habit thinking our dose may be miscalculated if its in the middle i round up