dumb question about thyroid

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi guy if you someone has a thyroid issue can this affect there liver in terms stop it producing glucose?.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @static192, from my reading, not as professional advice or opinion.
I looked up thyromate.com with topic Thyroid and Blood Sugar 27/8/2017:
Basically hypothyroidism (under-active thyroid) causes low blood sugar as thyroid gland is a pace setter for the body's metabolism of things. The metabolism slows with less thyroid hormone(thyroxine) produced and less other hormones are produced such as cortisol and growth hormone and glucagon, all latter three important in combating low blood sugar levels. Also the liver does not store as much glucose or release it as quickly in a hypo situation.
Long standing hypothyroidism is said to affect kidney function, lower the heart's ability to pump blood and increases the risk of narrowing and disease of blood vessels.
The reverse is hyperthyroidism - things are speeded up, insulin is broken down more quickly, so BSLS rise higher and the liver is caught up in this and releases more stored glucose into the blood stream. The bone make lose extra calcium also.
I hope that helps answer your questions??

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't know the medical reasons, but as I understand it the thyroid gland affects virtually all the body's functions. I have hypothyroidism and it is probably one factor among many others why I became T2 diabetic.
Thyroid problems seem to be a fairly common condition with people who have diabetes.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, @kitedoc , having done a lot of reading on thyroid (and associated hormones) function, correction and implications, it could be fairer to say that hypo/hyperthyroidism can cause lots of stuff, rather than will cause lots of stuff.

Just like diabetes where some folks with T2 mainly, can stroll around quite happily with raging blood sugars and be totally asymptomatic, others have symptoms withe barely diagnostic levels. The same can be said for thyroid dysregulation. In fact, I am a n1 for both of those scenario. I was totally asymptomless with an A1c of 73, but have had raging typically hypothyroid-loke symptoms whilst well below the diagnostic threshold (although adrift of euthyroid levels).

These hormones don't like to play to a script!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @DCUKMod, I agree, "will" and" can" are different and it may depend on context which one uses. Also it will depend on the actual stage, severity or not of a health condition as to whether symptoms have or have not occurred and whether a person suffering a health condition as reached an adapted or adjusted state to accomodate the symptoms or not. Or whether treatment starts early before symptoms occur.
However, if the health condition is present, the relative lack of symptoms is no guarantee that no harm is occurring.