DUPUYTREN DISEASE?

gfgeoff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all just wondered if anyone else has been diagnosed with Dupuytren Disease which is strongly linked to Diabetes?
I started with a small bump in the palm of my hand approx 2 years ago and now have the bumps under each knuckle in both hands......no contracture yet but very worried as im a musician for a living and this may have an effect in the future.
Have tried all sorts of creams and gels which have not worked but just wondered if anyone has this condition and how they are coping with it ?

A full explanation can be found here

https://dupuytrens.org/three-types-of-dupuytren-disease/

Cheers Geoff

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @gfgeoff, Welcome and I can imagine that you are quite concerned about this condition given your profession!!
First of all, this below is from my reading and experience as a T1D, not as professional advice or opinion:
I gather they have traced the genetics for the tendency to this condition back to the Vikings, and nothing to do with rowing with oars either !!
As a result of diabetes I have something similar but not exactly the same, called trigger fingers where one or more tendons in the palm of the hands swells up. The tendons are like smooth ropes which move when the muscles up in the forearm contract. To work properly these smooth ropes run through tissue loops in place of pulleys. When the swelling in my tendon moves it get stuck in the pulley then suddenly slip through causing my finger to suddenly move or trigger. Then it is difficult to get the finger unbent as the swelling gets stuck on the other side of the pulley and sometime has to be pulled back through with a great deal of pain in the process.
But also I have the start of some bending in one finger as the tendon will not allow it to go completely straight. This is more like the description of Dupuytren's as I read it.
So far I have had the offending tissue loops removed and at is well. The bent finger is only slight and does not worry me with sewing, tying knots, making and flying kites
I have a non-diabetic friend with Dupuytren's who is very good at drawing maps and calligraphy. He has had an operation to loosen up the contractures and so far so good. He is back to his calligraphy.
So there is hope !!
Best Wishes.:):):)

Grazer

I had the same. Interestingly, or maybe not, I also play guitar, albeit very badly. My contracture was in my left hand, so not good for fretwork!
They tried cortisone injections into the hand, painful and ineffective on the whole. Then had an op; I can say that within a month my hand was perfect again. I could still play guitar just as before - i.e, very badly.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor diagnosed Dupuytrens in my left hand a few years ago, it started with dents in my palm, progressed to lumps, which by and large have disappeared in the last year. However my right hand has also showed symptoms over the same time and now the ring finger of my right hand no longer straightens properly. I can but hope that that too will right itself. Having said that, although it is annoying it doesn't stop me doing most things. Currently I don't use any medications, just basically ignoring it!
It would appear that there is a genetic element to Dupuytrens as both my brother have it, to a small degree.
Sorry I can't offer an idea of a "cure", if you find one, other than surgery, please let me know!